Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transmission leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission leak
    Posted: March-29-2020 at 10:56pm
On my 1984 SN 2001 I’m loosing trans oil, I can see it in the bilge water. It looks like it’s leaking from the shifter lever.

Is there a seal or o-ring behind there that I can get at easily?

Thanks
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 12:33am
I’d pull the fitting and see for myself. There has to be some simple seal there. Others will come to your rescue soon and unveil the details.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 8:04am
If you go to the manual in the link and go to page 25 of the manual it tells you how to install the spool valve for the shifter. (it's page 30 of the download)

There's an O ring on the shifter end of the spool valve that needs to get replaced.

The manual doesn't talk about removal, just installation.

You have to remove the shift lever but one thing to keep in mind is that behind the shift lever is a spring and ball that are being held in by the shift lever.

You need to be careful so that the spring and ball don't come flying out and get lost deep down in the bilge when removing the lever They come out and you have to be delicate about removing the lever so you can get them before they go flying.   

On the other side of the transmission you have to remove the plate that holds the neutral safety switch in place, then the spool valve can be removed and you can replace the O ring

After that, follow the manual instructions starting on page 25 to put things back together

link
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 8:05am
There is a O ring on the shift spool.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 9:08am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you go to the manual in the link and go to page 25 of the manual it tells you how to install the spool valve for the shifter. (it's page 30 of the download)

There's an O ring on the shifter end of the spool valve that needs to get replaced.

You have to remove the shift lever but one thing to keep in mind is that behind the shift lever is a spring and ball that are being held in by the shift lever.

You need to be careful so that the spring and ball don't come flying out and get lost deep down in the bilge when removing the lever They come out and you have to be delicate about removing the lever so you can get them before they go flying.   

On the other side of the transmission you have to remove the plate that holds the neutral safety switch in place, then the spool valve can be removed and you can replace the O ring

After that, follow the manual instructions starting on page 25 to put things back together

link

Thanks glad I noticed this before running the trans to low

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 3:59pm

link

I got the neutral switch off, and the linkage disconnected. I can’t seem to pull the shifter valve assembly out. Any ideas?

Here’s where I’m at with pics I didn’t see a snap ring anywhere. Does the sealed cover the neutral shift threads into need to come off?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_fdb2GmsSc8c1LM37D53kopCJc59z-D7/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tzYFHLauftwHF0Pq1Bvxjp9o83B7pFr1/view?usp=drivesdk
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 4:06pm
Up above I said you need to remove the plate that holds the neutral safety switch.

That's the triangular thing in your first photo with 3 bolts holding it on that you unscrewed the switch from

Take that off and then remove the spool valve.

You can push it out from the shifter side to help get it out.

You're almost there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 4:07pm

Up above I said you need to remove the plate that holds the neutral safety switch.

That's the triangular thing in your first photo with 3 bolts holding it on

Take that off and then remove the spool valve.

You can push it out from the shifter side to help get it out.

You're almost there

Awesome does that sealed need to get replaced or just gasket cement back on?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 4:10pm
A little gasket cement should do.

Just to make sure you got it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,after the plate is off, the spool valve comes out from that side with a helping push from the shifter side

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 4:23pm

A little gasket cement should do.

Just to make sure you got it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,after the plate is off, the spool valve comes out from that side with a helping push from the shifter side

Thanks , one more question, any trick to getting that cover off? Bolts are off but it’s stuck on there good
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 4:29pm
Little hammer, little screwdriver or putty knife and a little tap should do it. to break the seal.

Also for a replacement O ring, I think it's a #112 O ring. A good hardware store should have a n assortment by number sizes.

Edit I think it's a 210 not a 112 based on measuring one. The 112 might be for the original older NSS........maybe.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 4:49pm

Little hammer, little screwdriver or putty knife and a little tap should do it. to break the seal.

Also for a replacement O ring, I think it's a #112 O ring. A good hardware store should have a n assortment by number sizes.

Thanks, I got the cover off. I’m trying to pull out the assembly but it’s still stuck. Is that a snap ring that has to come off?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kgAmP6CmHs0Fvpl8aKtKJQVZT6VCpuxb/view?usp=drivesdk
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 5:12pm
Don't even think about touching that ring. It's part of the pressure regulating valve

Give the shifter end a tap to get the valve out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 5:49pm

Don't even think about touching that ring. It's part of the pressure regulating valve

Give the shifter end a tap to get the valve out

Got it out. Should I align that snap ring gap with the notch in the assembly?

According to the manual it should but not sure if I should, if you look at my picture above it’s not lined up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zRgiH7fjsGcK19BNRR05iKqqBoG5efZj/view?usp=drivesdk
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 6:08pm
I think in your picture above, it's lined up just the way it should be. The gap is lined up with the lower bolt hole.

When you put it back together the tab on the switch cam goes in the notch before you mount the triangular plate. Then the NSS screws in and should be aligned right.

I measured a well used O ring and got 0.74 inches ID 1 inch OD and .14 inches thickness (all plus or minus a little bit)

That lines up with specs for a #210 O ring pretty well

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 6:13pm

I think in your picture above, it's lined up just the way it should be. The gap is lined up with the lower bolt hole.

When you put it back together the tab on the switch cam goes in the notch before you mount the triangular plate. Then the NSS screws in and should be aligned right.

I measured a well used O ring and got 0.74 inches ID 1 inch OD and .14 inches thickness (all plus or minus a little bit)

That lines up with specs for a #210 O ring pretty well

Thanks I have 210 ready to go. I was talking about the snap ring for the pressure regulator. In the link above it says to line up the gap with the gap in the assembly

See in this pic how the snap ring gap isn’t lined up?

Should I align the gaps or leave that alone? Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kgAmP6CmHs0Fvpl8aKtKJQVZT6VCpuxb/view?usp=drivesdk
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 6:28pm
If you didn't touch the snap ring leave things alone.

Take a picture with the switch cam in place with it's tab lined up with the gap

And.........check your PM's
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 9:55pm
Well, Mav got it back together again with a # 210 O ring being a good fit.

He has quite a selection of O rings in his garage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 9:58pm

Well, Mav got it back together again with a # 210 O ring being a good fit.

He has quite a selection of O rings in his garage

342 piece set not a fan of running to the parts store haha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic