NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

176 Rudder Story - again

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:16pm
Does the 11-A rudder on a 175 improve the wake when pulling a tube?

Asking for a friend.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Cyclone Cyclone wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here's a whole different viewpoint to consider on the 11A vs SS rudder

An 11A rudder is a manganese bronze casting around a shaft of weaker material like brass

If you hit something hard enough with your 11A rudder they mostly all tend to break in the same spot........right flush with the bottom of the boat like the picture below.. No hull damage for the most part. Looks like there's a built in weak point

Just unhook the tiller arm and let the broken shaft fall out the bottom, slap a new one in along with whatever else you destroyed

Now take that welded SS rudder and hit the same thing, is it gonna break in the same fashion or is it gonna tear apart a bunch of fiberglass instead as it's taking the hit.

Is there a built in weak point? Or is the hull the weak point in this case?

Beats me   

I've never heard of this built in weak spot. What about the bronze dudders with a ss shaftwill they break at the hull or do hull damage

I'm not sure what a dudder is but if you see a bronze rudder with a Stainless Steel shaft, the shaft is probably engineered to break in the same spot instead of wiping out the bottom of the boat.

Down below is a link to the Marine Hardware catalog, if you go to the rudder section you'll see numerous references to the rudders having an "integral breakaway post design" on their bronze rudders with a Stainless Steel shaft

Inboard rudders start on page 34, but the whole catalog is a good read   

Now whether every rudder built by other outfits is built the same way........who knows

Maybe the 11A CC rudder was accidental or maybe it was designed that way but I'd rather break the rudder like that than damage the rudder and rip out the rudder port

And as far as that Stainless Steel CC rudder I'd say that fits in the "who knows" category too as to how it was designed/built.

link

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:45pm
Google is your friend link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:49pm
One time I launched my boat at the lake and while I was parking the truck I asked my Dad to hold onto it. It was nosed into the beach at the time and clear of any sand. By the time I got back wakes had pushed the stern of the boat towards the shore so now the boat was sitting at a 45* angle to the shore line. I could see the boat rocking back and forth with the waves, and the boat high sided on the fins (I assume).

My long winded story is wondering if the donor boat of your rudder had washed up stern into the beach and bounced against the sand long enough to bend the shaft. I don't think you'd be able to see any marks in the rudder from the sand.

Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Pete....No damage at all. Looks like the day it left the foundry. I just can't figure how it got bent back like that. I wouldn't think water pressure would do that, even over a long time.

So, do you think it would be okay to use on a big old lumbering Martinique crusing at 20 mph most of the time?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Google is your friend link

Oh good, now I know what a dudder is

Thanks Gary
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 7:03pm

In the words of Yogi Berra, it's like deja vu all over again.

It's still bent   

Click on the link below

link

Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Is the 11A rudder shaft meant to be straight, or does it have a slight bend to it? I picked one up a few years ago as a spare should it ever be needed that had a slight bend to it. No damage to rudder whatseover though. Would the water pressure cause it to bend back like that, or was that factory? I figure it should work on the old Martinique regardless.

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

In the words of Yogi Berra, it's like deja vu all over again.

It's still bent   

Click on the link below

link

[QUOTE=davidg] Is the 11A rudder shaft meant to be straight, or does it have a slight bend to it? I picked one up a few years ago as a spare should it ever be needed that had a slight bend to it. No damage to rudder whatseover though. Would the water pressure cause it to bend back like that, or was that factory? I figure it should work on the old Martinique regardless.

Oh you bugger! You got me. I was thinking I may have posted on my bent rudder shaft before. With age, comes lack of memory. As I mentioned on the Barefoot Nautique thread the other day, I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning. With age, comes lack of memory. My rudder may be bent, but, my carb will be working good on the Martinique this summer.   

As they say, with age comes lack of memory.
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2020 at 2:09am
Hi Larry,
I measured the O.D. of the rudder port from the Stainless steel rudder, and it's 1.975"
Now we need to get somebody to measure the O.D of the port for the 11a.

Don
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic