Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good Ford 351 Mechanic in Northern Wisconsin?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Ford 351 Mechanic in Northern Wisconsin?
    Posted: April-18-2020 at 12:59am
Hey guys - As posted in some other threads, I did a build on the 351W Commander in my '79 SN last winter. I live in Colorado but took the boat to my parents house in northern Wisconsin where it is going to live. Had a couple good weekends and then late summer started having some serious running issues. Couldn't pin down the problem, but eliminated as much as I could other than ignition.   After reading a bunch of threads for and against, I ended up ordering the simplest electronic ignition setup I could come up with -

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-m35820-rr-rd

It was back-ordered and showed up in Wisconsin long after I had headed back to Colorado. My time in Wisconsin is going to be even shorter this summer than last, with everything going on - so I don't think I'll have the time or motivation to get this installed and get the boat running, and still have time to enjoy it.

So, with that long story....I'm wondering if y'all know anyone in northern Wisconsin (boat is in Minocqua) that is competent and interested in getting the DUI installed and getting the boat running for me.....so I can roll into town, crack a beer, fire it up, and listen to it purr (more rumble than purr) all weekend!! I'm happy to pay reasonable hourly wages, just don't think the dealer or any boat mechanic that I know is the best option for a 'Classic' like this.

Let me know if you have any ideas or anyone on the forum would be interested!!

Feel free to PM and I can give you my phone # or other contact info.

Thanks
OT
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2020 at 8:14pm
Pete (aka 8122pbrainard) lives up in northern Wisconsin. Likely he will have some good local knowledge about shops / mechanics.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2020 at 10:06pm
JQ,
I saw Aarons post earlier and have been thinking about his request. The problem is the DUI work needed is a modification from original and I know of no marinas/shop who would venture into something beyond a normal repair/service, Yes, many here have done the DUI conversions with ease and without problems. The other problem is the virus. Our Wisconsin governor has extended the stay at home order until March 26 so getting everything back up and running for summer will be hectic to say the least.

Aaron,
PM me and I'll get back to you with a phone number of a marina that MAY do the job. All you can do is call and ask. Would you be able to haul the boat over from Minocqua?

When are you planning to get back here? If you come before the stay at home order is lifted, you are required to self quarantine for 14 days. The county sheriff dept. is checking plus they have been checking on second homes that normally aren't occupied this time of the year. Is your parents home year round?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 8:29pm
I would think that you may want to check out a speed or hot rod shop.    The motor isn't going to be any different for them, and they are familiar with modifications such as the DUI.   that said, if your mechanically inclined and have some tools, this is not a hard modification to make, and there are several discussions on how to do it on this forum.

kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 9:00pm
I’m not a mechanic but a fellow ccfanatic and would be happy to help as a local in relative close proximity (Rhinelander). Though I’ve not done a dui swap, With this group to lean, I am confident I could help get you on the water if you aren’t able to line up something else and totally understand if you prefer that route. I had an 83 sn2001 that we did an electric ignition conversion on, a 94 sport that I swapped the protec ignition out of, and most recently a 95 super sport that I had to do some ignition troubleshooting on, including distributor replacement. If you think there’s a way I can help you enjoy our already too short summer, let me know. I can manage to find my way around using a wiring diagram, multimeter, and timing light :).

Kyle
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 9:00pm
No offence Kris but I guess your not familiar with upper Wisconsin

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

I would think that you may want to check out a speed or hot rod shop.    .

Kris,
You haven't been in northern Wisconsin have you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 9:03pm
Rest my case.......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 9:15pm
LOL.... never been to Wisconsin :)   if nobody races or has hotrods, what do you all do in the summer
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 9:19pm
Offtrail

I'd take Kyle up on the offer in a heartbeat. He's got plenty of experience with stuff a lot harder than putting a DUI into an older carbureted 351. I remember his GT40 thread.

I get the feeling that you're kinda "not too confident" since you did all of your engine work leaving the distributor in place and seemed to say you had no experience with distributors if I remember right..

You handled all the other stuff and with a little help and guidance like he's offering you can easily do this.

Originally posted by kylem428 kylem428 wrote:

I’m not a mechanic but a fellow ccfanatic and would be happy to help as a local in relative close proximity (Rhinelander). Though I’ve not done a dui swap, With this group to lean, I am confident I could help get you on the water if you aren’t able to line up something else and totally understand if you prefer that route. I had an 83 sn2001 that we did an electric ignition conversion on, a 94 sport that I swapped the protec ignition out of, and most recently a 95 super sport that I had to do some ignition troubleshooting on, including distributor replacement. If you think there’s a way I can help you enjoy our already too short summer, let me know. I can manage to find my way around using a wiring diagram, multimeter, and timing light :).

Kyle
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 9:29pm
Jay Ryden in Hazelhurst. His dad used to own Ryden Marine and Jay has his own repair shop. You can google it.
1999 Sport Nautique-Python Powered

1999 Ski Nautique-Python Powered
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 9:35pm
Looks like Jay is back with Ryden Marine in Minocqua. Give him a call, he used to run Ski Nautiques and is a skier and barefooter.
1999 Sport Nautique-Python Powered

1999 Ski Nautique-Python Powered
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

LOL.... never been to Wisconsin :)   if nobody races or has hotrods, what do you all do in the summer

That one day- August 3, they jump in their boats and pull tubes around. When the kids turn blue it's time to go in. The rest of the year they work on the boat for next year. Some fun activates such as decorating your front yard with hanging boats,they make great wind chimes. Here hold my beer while I.......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 10:13pm
Oh come on Gary. Give us up here a break. It's going to warm up one of these days. The 6:00 weather today is forecasting 1" of snow. It's won't last that long because the ground is just above freezing.    The lakes are opening up too. My lake is about half open.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Oh come on Gary. Give us up here a break. It's going to warm up one of these days.

It's coming. If we can ever get out of here I'll bring some with. It was 94 here today. Opposite of Illinois winters - go outside for a bit come back in to cool down   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2020 at 11:03am
Thanks guys, and sorry for the silence - I wasn't getting message notifications so thought nobody was replying!

pbrainerd - I will shoot you a PM to hear more about the dealer

Kyle - I will be in touch as well, really appreciate the offer!

Jay and his Dad are good friends from back in the summer waterskiing days, but haven't caught up in a couple years. I'll talk to him as well. I don't think he is real familiar with the older stuff, but worth a chat.

Keno and others - I'm not afraid to try to do this myself, and probably have the tools to do it at this point. The problem is purely one of time. I have somewhere between 6 and 10 days all summer (half of which will probably be rainy) to see my parents, my wifes parents, get our kid out on the water, and actually drive the boat a few times. I have no garage to work in up there and not even a full day to dedicate to working on the boat.   While in a perfect scenario I might be able to get the DUI in one afternoon, I'm going to spend the only other days I have to use the boat getting everything adjusted, trouble-shooting, etc. I'd love to work on it myself, but since I don't have it here at home with me it's just not in the cards.....
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 12:07pm
Well, I'm striking out here. No response from anyone I've contacted. kylem428?

I'm going to talk to Jonnyquest and get some tips on doing it myself if I can find time, but still looking for any other options if there are any. Lemme know!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Off Trail Off Trail wrote:

Well, I'm striking out here. No response from anyone I've contacted.

Aaron,
I did send you a PM but just so you don't miss it, here's my only recommendation:

Sportsman's Service
715 546 2196

Talk to Joe and see if he would be willing to undertake the project.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 2:58pm
Pete you’re not far from there and retired.
Why don’t you fire up the lesmobile and go fetch the boat drag it back the Brainard compound, drop the distributor in it Kyle can run up and give you some pointers.
Aaron can pick it up on his way north and if you time it right it would be like a CCF mini-mini. You could even throw in an alignment job, I’m sure the Aaron will make it worth your time.
Beats working at Homedumpo with a mask on all day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic