NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

weight concearns

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weight concearns
    Posted: September-25-2006 at 3:26pm
does anyone have any imput or first hand experience with the way reducing motor weight changing the wake behind the boat.

By weight reduction I mean going with aluminum heads and aluminum exhaust manifolds.

I want to improve HP but don't want to change the wake.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 6:55pm
the exhaust isn't an issue but the aluminum heads are a little different since these marine engines don't get very hot so they don't expand the way they would in automotive applications and you can have issues running them, Now if it was an AL block with steel sleeves and AL heads that's different, but cast iron block and AL heads don't mix very well.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 7:57pm
the issue i see here is not the difference in the expansion rate(this would be a moot point)between a block running at 195 degrees vs. a block running at 150 degrees,i would be concerned with the dissimular metals,electrolysis at the water inlets.a zinc anode would slow down or totaly stop this installed,then add the stainless manifolds and you have alm. oxide instead of trick heads.........also check the runner size, most have 200 to 220 cc runner size this is not condusive for proper low rpm torque production.you need 150 to 165 cc runners............. boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic