Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

carb

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb
    Posted: September-25-2006 at 4:19pm
I am getting ready to drop a new 318 engine into my '67 barracuda ss. I have no idea what carberator to get, since the old one was so corroded, that i could not tell what it was. Anybody have any ideas, and if so, where can i get one? Also, does anyone have a ski pylon to fit that boat by any chance?
'cuda
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 7:08pm
look for a 600cfm holley if it is a four barrel, or a 450cfm if t was a 2 that would be my suggestion. Not realy sure what the org would have been but by the size of the motor thats what it should need.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 7:30pm
I had a 500 cfm 2 barrel Holley on my 302, man that thing sucked alot of gas, and didn't give more performance. I'm back to a 350 cfm.
Tim D
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 10:33pm
I went for the 450 CFM 4 barrel and I am very happy with it. (It might be a 480 CFM, I can't get clarification - I bought it off Ebay and it turned out to be some kind of OEM carb with a special Holley part number. It has very small bores. A 600 is a little less money but I think it is a little large for a small block engine that will rarely see 5000 RPM in a boat application (although it should work.) Other than that I think the 350 CFM 2 barrel Tim D mentioned would be a smart choice. imho

By the way, you will get some argument from others here but I would go with a Holley. I think they are prettier. (When it comes down to it, you should probably pick out the brand that is prettiest to you - I think the final performance between brands is about the same.) Again imho

Someone in an old thread pointed out the virtue of a 2 barrel when towing - you don't have the problem of the back two barrels opening and closing when you are trying to achieve a constant RPM under a heavy load. It makes sense to me. (But me, I'd hang two 4-barrels on it if I thought I could go even just a little faster.)
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 8:42am
ypu really need to know what the HP rating is so that you have an idea as to the cam that is in it. If the cam is ground for a 2BBL application then there is no since in using a 4BBL carb because it will not perform with the extra gas and no lift or duration from the cam. There's a couple of guys that have that engine maybe they can chime in on what they have on their's
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 9:20am
Heath,
I have the 318 in my boat. It uses the Carter AFB carb. Model number is AFB-3213S. It seems like every now and then I see them showing up on Ebay.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 9:38am
the AFB's are from 500-750cfm, the chart I saw for the 318 application called for a 600cfm carb. So I would shoot for a 550-600cfm marine carb of your choice, Holley, edelbrock/quadra-jet would be my first choices, carter would be the last.
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 10:41pm
Thanks everybody for your input. helped a lot! I am hoping my boat will turn out as good as yours!
'cuda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic