Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator wiring & engine breaker question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator wiring & engine breaker question
    Posted: May-03-2020 at 4:15am
Just noticed that my alternator output wire was hooked up to the starter solenoid, and not to the engine breaker - see below.

I'm a novice to these things, so I was wondering about the following:

1. Am I right that the engine breaker protects everything other than the starting circuit? So every wire other than the thick battery cables going from the battery to the solenoid, and from the solenoid to the starter, is protected (including the wires from the breaker to the solenoid and from the ignition/neutral safety switch to the solenoid)?

2. The way my alternator is hooked up currently means my alternator output wire is not being protected by the engine breaker? I'm assuming there is a reason why the wiring diagram shows the output wire should be hooked up to the 'safe'(?) side of the breaker, and not directly to the alternator.

Thanks for the help and guidance!
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2020 at 7:52am
What size is the alternator? I'm wondering if a large output alternator was installed, the breaker was never up sized, kept popping due to a load so then the breaker was by passed?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2020 at 8:43am
1. No
2. Yes, but no.

To understand what the breaker protects (in the stock scheme or otherwise) you need to know the direction(s) of current flow. The battery and the alternator are both power sources.

In the stock scheme, there is no protection (from the main breaker) between the alt and the 20a ignition breaker in the dash. The wire is sized such that it can handle the full rated load of the alt.

In your modified scheme, the charging circuit (alt to batt) is not protected. The dash feed is. So long as your output wire on the alt (to the solenoid) is rated above the output of the alt, that’s ok.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What size is the alternator? I'm wondering if a large output alternator was installed, the breaker was never up sized, kept popping due to a load so then the breaker was by passed?

I'm not sure what size it is. I can't find any marks or stamps on the alternator housing to indicate what manufacturer/model/capacity it is (pictures below). Where should I look? Or can I just measure output with a multimeter/VOM?

P.S. The black wire attached to my one wire alternator is for a dash mounted battery light.

1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2020 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

I'm not sure what size it is. I can't find any marks or stamps on the alternator housing to indicate what manufacturer/model/capacity it is (pictures below). Where should I look? Or can I just measure output with a multimeter/VOM?

Anyone?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2020 at 1:48pm

Anyone?

Anyone with some wisdom to share here?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2020 at 1:56pm
No one is going to be able to tell you the rated putout from the information provided.

Maybe you can tell us what you’re tying to accomplish and we can try and point you in the right direction.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2020 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Maybe you can tell us what you’re tying to accomplish and we can try and point you in the right direction.

Trying to figure out why my alternator may have been wired the way it was - in answer to Pete's question from the earlier posts. Plus it will be useful to know how many amps my alternator puts out for future reference when it comes to replacing wiring etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic