NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 skinautiuqe toggle switches

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 5:31pm
Here's JT's expertly colored dash diagram for an 83 that shows a manual bilge pump switch with no auto feature. I figure there were auto pumps that year too

I think that Mourning Wood should dive under his dash and take a picture of his auto bilge pump switch wiring and that would be real helpful to Tyler
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

[/QUOTE]   
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 8:04pm
I'd be glad to....
but my boats and I are socially distanced by about an hour.
Maybe tomorrow.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

I'd be glad to....
but my boats and I are socially distanced by about an hour.
Maybe tomorrow.

You're an OK guy
Tydamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tydamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here's JT's expertly colored dash diagram for an 83 that shows a manual bilge pump switch with no auto feature. I figure there were auto pumps that year too

I think that Mourning Wood should dive under his dash and take a picture of his auto bilge pump switch wiring and that would be real helpful to Tyler
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

[/QUOTE]

That's a good piece of information buddy thank you very much. I want to thank everybody for being so helpful on this forum first off. Mine definitely has an automatic setting I would think because the bilge pump automatically turns on if there's water in the bilge. The other thing is mine's definitely an 83 but it has four toggle switches on my dashboard and the The wiring diagram that you posted only shows three switches. Minor labeled navigation, blower, pump, and then the fourth is so faded I can't read it when I flick it it doesn't do anything so I'm not sure there's definitely wires to it though and it looks factory
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 8:36pm
That extra switch is just an extra switch

It's probably the second one down from the top and it's been noted many times to go nowhere.

Kinda an extra for an accessory.

Mourning Wood could probably verify that too.

Click on the link for an old thread about this, there are others too.

link
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 8:56pm
Tyler,
On the switch-
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Where's the 4th wire go?
Is it connected to the same terminal as another wire or on a separate terminal?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tydamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tydamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 9:36pm
8123pbbrainard there are four separate wires connected to four different terminals. Keno your spot on bud is the second one down from top and does nothing, but there's wires going into the back of it lol doesn't make much sense but oh well I'll plug something into it and make it be useful
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Tydamon Tydamon wrote:

8123pbbrainard there are four separate wires connected to four different terminals.

Where's the 4th wire go?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2020 at 10:55pm
Give him a chance Pete

Since you keep asking him where the 4th wire goes I'll say it as many times as you've asked   

It goes to ground

It goes to ground

Now as far as why, he's got a lighted switch (or at least it was before the handle broke) . Mourning Wood already mentioned the lighted switches

One wire for power into the switch

Another for power to the bilge pump in manual

Another wire for the bilge pump float switch

And that ground wire is there because it's needed for the little internal light to have a ground path so it'll work..

The bilge pump will work just fine in manual or auto without the black ground wire hooked up on the switch
Tydamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tydamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 12:07am

Give him a chance Pete

Since you keep asking him where the 4th wire goes I'll say it as many times as you've asked   

It goes to ground

It goes to ground

Now as far as why, he's got a lighted switch (or at least it was before the handle broke) . Mourning Wood already mentioned the lighted switches

One wire for power into the switch

Another for power to the bilge pump in manual

Another wire for the bilge pump float switch

And that ground wire is there because it's needed for the little internal light to have a ground path so it'll work..

The bilge pump will work just fine in manual or auto without the black ground wire hooked up on the switch

It is a lighted switch and all my lighted switches work. I would like to buy another lighted switch so basically does anyone know where I can find four post illuminated toggle switches?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 8:38am
I figure if you wait on more info from MourningWood your chances of finding something exact will be better.

Maybe not great, but better anyways

Otherwise it'll be pretty easy to come up with a non lighted switch that will work
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 8:41am
Tyler,
Now that we have figured out what you need, here's your lighted SPDT center off switch Unfortunately there's a $150 minimum. But, at least you can now search other source for the same switch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 8:46am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 8:48am

Tyler,
Now that we have figured out what you need, here's your lighted SPDT center off switch Unfortunately there's a $150 minimum. But, at least you can now search other source for the same switch.

You forgot to tell him what the 5th terminal on the linked switch is for Pete and it's really pretty easy to find that switch in a quantity of 1 with no minimum order requirements.
Tydamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tydamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 10:42am
Perfect. I ordered some thank you guys for the help
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 11:10am

You forgot to tell him what the 5th terminal on the linked switch is for Pete and it's really pretty easy to find that switch in a quantity of 1 with no minimum order requirements.

I see it's a pick on Pete first thing in the morning again. It's always a pleasure to help you out with your daily head fix.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 11:58am
Oh poor little Petey

I guess you make the rules on what constitutes being picked on

It's a pretty one way thing in your mind, you can just make your jabs and that's OK but if somebody points out something like the above switch having an extra terminal with no explanation of what it's for and maybe something like how to wire it right...............then you make the decision that you're being picked on...............Grow up

By the way since your "selective memory loss" is still kicked in, we'll quote this question one more time. That's Pete style by the way ...........keep on quoting yourself when somebody doesn't answer your question.

Still waiting for the answer   

Ken,
There's no doubt in my mind why you were kicked out of that other site.

[/QUOTE]

I guess you couldn't just say we were both correct yesterday    I think you did some learnin'

And speaking of this "other site" .........what is this "other site"? Here's the quote and lack of answer from you back in the water pump thread. It looks like you ignored it twice already

Ken,
There's no doubt in my mind why you were kicked out of that other site.

We'll give you a big WTF on this comment Pete

Explain yourself

Pete..............You must have missed this so here it is again

Note...............this is where Pete's "selective memory loss" kicks in

[/QUOTE]
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 12:11pm
Great idea, Why didnt I think of that? Oh yeah, I did, two days ago. (admittedly a fairly pricey version, but could have led to the search for a more economical version) Nobody ever listens to me, look at all the kerfuffle that could have been avoided.

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

That photo i found was good enough to remind me of what they looked like. Sort of translucent handles, pinkish/reddish, look like handles that light up, but pretty sure they dont. Npt sure original matters in this case. I replaced the 3 or 4 toggles on my tique a few times. Dont seem to like water environments. One batch looked like the ones you are showing Gary, another time they had more the paddle style, another time, just the standard "tear drop" type metal handle. If you do them all probably doesnt matter, unless you are hard core "keep it original" which I do understand as well. They look something like this except this one doesnt look tinted

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 12:22pm
It's the 7:00 a.m. school bell, and I've already learned that:

The lighted accessory switches were a new feature for '83.
The 3-position bilge switch may have debuted in '83.
The '82 (non-lighted) uses a 2-terminal "PUMP" switch, even though there is a float. No battery, so I couldn't prove the circuits.
As shown, the second switch down is a on-off with a hot wire coming in, but no function. An accessory accessory switch...
Nice drive, good exercise but sorry, not much help.

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 8:17pm
Was it backyardhack.com?
hal2814 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hal2814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 9:14pm
As a former 83 owner I will caution you that over the last 37 years your switches have yellowed. That new one will stick out like a sore thumb. It’s not obscenely expensive to replace the whole set. You’ll need a mix of single and double throws if you go that route.

Also, FWIW I didn’t have a float switch for my bilge. My second to top switch wasn’t wired to anything. I ran it to as an on/off for the stereo. Not sure what it came like from the factory though.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Was it backyardhack.com?

Nah, that's not it, but we could probably fun playing "guess the non existent website"
Tydamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tydamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2020 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by hal2814 hal2814 wrote:

As a former 83 owner I will caution you that over the last 37 years your switches have yellowed. That new one will stick out like a sore thumb. It’s not obscenely expensive to replace the whole set. You’ll need a mix of single and double throws if you go that route.

Also, FWIW I didn’t have a float switch for my bilge. My second to top switch wasn’t wired to anything. I ran it to as an on/off for the stereo. Not sure what it came like from the factory though.

I orderd all 3 singles and one double. Mine has an aftermarket bilge with a built in float
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 3:09am

I orderd all 3 singles and one double. Mine has an aftermarket bilge with a built in float

Too bad you couldn't have shared that little nugget of information 3 days and 53 posts ago...

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Tydamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tydamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 7:59am
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Too bad you couldn't have shared that little nugget of information 3 days and 53 posts ago...

Read back big guy I stated I had a bilge with a float. My reason for the post was to locate the switch I needed. Once someone helped in which I'm very thankful for I ordered all new.
Again thanks for the help
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 9:32am
What you posted was you needed a switch. Your toggle was broken. You needed a 3-position switch with 4 terminals, as was originally installed.

But in the end, you ordered a 2-position switch because your aftermarket pump has an integrated float which does not require a 3-position switch. Which is wired differently than originally equipped. Which would have been good to know.

No harm no foul, you got your problem remedied.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic