Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wood ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sweetnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweetnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood ?
    Posted: September-28-2006 at 10:28am
I'm wondering if anyone could help me out with a boat floor replacement question I have?
I had a soft spot in my floor so yesterday I removed the drivers seat and pa$$enger seat and pulled the carpet back. Sure enough the entire center piece of plywood between the driver and pa$$enger seat was rotten. I took all that entire section out and clean all the garbage up. The section is 46 inches by 23 inches so its pretty small. My question is what kind of plywood should I use? Treated or not? I have heard both ways so im up in the air. I just don't want to fix it again anytime soon. The other thing was do I have to put that mat down over the entire board as I install the layers of fibergla$$? If someone knows anything that could help that would be great!

Thanks Ryan
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 10:39am
Use cabinet grade plywood and coat it with resin all around, both sides and all edges. Don't use treated the resin will not stick to it. once the piece is coated and sealed up then mount it in the floor and use mat and woven gla$$ to build up the thickness to level out the new section of floor with the rest of the floor. Another option is using a composite material call starboard all you have to do with it is seal up the gaps but it's a little pricey compared to the plywood and resin route it would be that much more but a little it will save some time as well. West marine sells the starboard material so check on pices there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 11:11am
'79 has good advice. I used 3/4" (or 23/32") structural grade fir plywood. I coated it in epoxy resin (both sides), screwed it down, then gla$$ed on top. See this thread for info and lots of pics. If I were to go it again, I would put mat and woven roving over the plywood section to gain thickness with a lot fewer layers. You dont need the strength of 7 layers of cloth/mat unless youre going over foam. U.S Composites has the best prices on fibergla$$ materials.

While youre in there, make sure your foam and stringers are solid and dry. Also, inspect your bulkhead closely! Mine was cracked all around and allowed water up into the bow where it didnt belong. It may have been the source of all my problems.
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 1:11pm
TRBenj- very informative thread on the floor replacement. Soup to nuts, how long did it take you to complete? How's it holding up? Would you do anything different?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 1:40pm
never use treated plywood and like these guys said treat it with resin especially the edges, its the edges that act like a sponge and soak in the water
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2006 at 2:05pm
92, its holding up great- although Ive put <10 hrs on the boat since! I threw the old carpet and interior back in for the NE reunion in August, and havent even gotten around to installing the new carpet yet. I expect the repair to last a long time- I tried to do it right so I never have to do the work again, at least on this boat.

The only things I may have done differently were:

1. I wouldnt use 5200 to seal up the bulkhead (I learned later resin wont stick to it). I would have used thickened resin to create the fillet instead.

2. I would have used woven roving over the plywood to add thickness much more quickly. I have at least 3 layers of mat/cloth on there (more around the edges) but it may be a touch lower than the rest of the floor.

Other than that, Im happy with the way it turned out. I will also be gla$$ing down some thin plywood to the sides of the hull in strategic locations before I re-carpet. Ill use them to mount things (possibly amps, speaker enclosures or braces for the combing pads). Thats actually how the storage pocket near the driver is mounted.

SquamWakeForce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquamWakeForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 11:25am
Marine Plywood
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 11:44am
Its been discussed here before that marine plywood simpy has fewer voids than structural plywood. Both utilize waterproof glue. The extra cost of marine plywood isnt worth it for a floor project.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 11:46am
You do have to be careful to specify exterior grade structrual plywood in some parts of the country.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 11:54am
Tim, are you going to get a picture of the mirror mount for David?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Tim, are you going to get a picture of the mirror mount for David?

I could- but it may not be real soon. I *think* the dash-mount mirror is in a box in my parents basement.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I *think* the dash-mount mirror is in a box in my parents basement.

should have known...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2006 at 12:05am
TRBenj. That was some serious throw down on that stringer repair! Way to dig in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic