Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1999 SN Shifter sloppy

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1999 SN Shifter sloppy
    Posted: June-09-2020 at 2:03am
I have a 1999 Ski Nautique and the shift lever seems loose and has a fair amount of slop to it. The lever seems to move be able to pull out some from the main housing which results in it being able to move some towards forward and reverse.
Has anyone else run into that situation that might have a suggestion for how to correct it?
I am thinking there must be a loose screw or something, but am not seeing one anywhere.
Or, might anyone have a parts diagram for these shift assembles that might illustrate where/if there is some part that might need tightening? Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 10:29am
If you look at this post my reply has some pictures of my 98. shows the screw and allen head screw. These were loose when I bought my boat. Maybe just need tightening?
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Jass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 12:53pm
Thanks for that clarification. I do still have a few questions though.
Is the allen screw you refer to the screw in the middle right on the lower picture in your post where you can only see threads of a screw and not the actual allen head? Can you get to that screw by just removing the handle, or does the whole assembly need to be removed to even get to that? Also, to remove the handle do you just remove the phillips screw in the center push button that you push to put in neutral/no gear and accelerate? If you do that, are there springs that pop out and thus need to be real careful as you remove?
Thanks,
Jeff
530-906-5312
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 9:50am
Jeff,
Yes there is a spring behind the button that comes out when you remove the Phillips head screw in the center of the button ( red arrow). In this picture the screw is removed already. Then loosen the allen head screw from the bottom under handle and thru the slot in the chrome ring (blue arrow).
You may be able to tighten these two without removing anything to remove the slop. If tightening them does not help you will have to dig deeper.

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

Jeff,
If tightening them does not help you will have to dig deeper.

The worst case is the splines in the zinc die cast handle are worn/stripped Then it's time for a new handle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 12:41pm
I looked at it a bit closer yesterday and it looks like due to something being loose the handle pulls away from the splines on the zinc die cast you mention and is then able to move around. I will be away for a bit but will look closer given the tips you mention above and hopefully one of those screws will be the issue and simply tightening will do the trick. Will let you know the outcome for future readers
Jass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 1:48am
I finally made time to look closer at the throttle l;ever and turns out it was just the set screw that was loose and I was able to tighten it easily from below with a long allen wrench without removing any of the upholstery.
Thanks for all the advice and great pictures that helped me resolve this issue..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic