NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gelcoat
    Posted: June-11-2020 at 10:35am
Moved here as might have needed new topic
The rains haven't stopped to finish the paint on the 79 so I decided to start cleaning up the Gelcoat on the 83. I took the footplate off top[ side and you can see the boat was originally a light Blue.

I tried buffing with a rubbing compound but didn't seem to do what I want.
Tried wet sanding and if you look close there is a little blue coming up.

How much sanding can I do, is the gelcoat thick enough to do much???
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 10:40am
Not sure I understand the question... has the boat been painted white (over blue) and you want to remove it? Or is the blue faded so badly that it appears near-white? Compound isn’t aggressive enough to restore faded gel color In my experience- you’ll have to sand - potentially pretty aggressively - to have any chance. Be careful at edges and corners- as you are already seeing, they take a much harder hit than the rest of the surface.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 11:06am
Not painted really faded. I was told by m local boat builder to use 320 (don't have been using 500) and take it easy.
I can see the blue coming (on the edges)but it must really be down deep.
Suggestions
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 11:16am
"Carolina Blue" LOVE IT.

That will be a LOT of work, but should look really cool when done!
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 11:24am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

"Carolina Blue" LOVE IT.

That will be a LOT of work, but should look really cool when done!

Roger That
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 11:29am
320 gonna be needed (at least) if you want to go quickly. Looks like you’re not being quite careful enough at the corners. Watch for signs that you’re sanding through.

Not “Carolina” but Dresdon.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

320 gonna be needed (at least) if you want to go quickly. Looks like you’re not being quite careful enough at the corners. Watch for signs that you’re sanding through.

Not “Carolina” but Dresdon.

320 on the way. Thanks
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2020 at 3:47pm
Sanding away and I'm down to blue and spots of the old. It has really taken a lot of the gelcoat away, am I still gonna be ok
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2020 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Sanding away and I'm down to blue and spots of the old. It has really taken a lot of the gelcoat away, am I still gonna be ok

Gelcoat is super thick. You’re taking less than you think, and is measured in ‘thousandths’;-)
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 11:25am
Not that thick I found out went though in 3 places, not bad but enough to make me rethink this sanding all the Gelcoat away
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 11:28am
You are sanding by hand, correct?
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 11:56am
both doing edges by hand and middle by a little palm sander-my 75 year old shoulders can't take it

I'll take a couple pics later
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 12:09pm

Not that thick I found out went though in 3 places, not bad but enough to make me rethink this sanding all the Gelcoat away

Can't hit it too hard. I'd think the lowest setting on an orbital, and let it do the work without pressure. But I'll be following, as I'd love to make the time to bring my Gel back also, and I'll be new to the process.

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 1:13pm
Here is before and after and showing where I went through.
Before

After
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 2:49pm
The Blue is definitely coming out just not at the same time
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2020 at 12:19pm
Well back from a short rest period. Suggestions on how to get this color to come up evenly. As seen in above pics it seems to not work in the middle area. I'm using 500 wet on a 4x5 hand sander. Still scared I'm gonna sand through.
Is it possible because PO didn't take care of this to start with, could I be wasting a lot of time and damaging my boat????
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2020 at 1:07pm
Any chance you could re-upload the pictures since the site has now been restored?
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Canuck-Surfer Canuck-Surfer wrote:

Any chance you could re-upload the pictures since the site has now been restored?

Which boat been working on 2?
What pictures do you need?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2020 at 11:15am

Originally posted by Canuck-Surfer Canuck-Surfer wrote:

Which boat been working on 2?
What pictures do you need?

The boat this thread is about, the one you’re wet sanding.Wacko
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2020 at 11:27am
I'm guessing the 83

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2020 at 11:31am
Can't get but 1 to load

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2020 at 11:34am
Sorry I can't get these to load. Says they are but I don't see them.,
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2020 at 11:35am
If you need something specific let me know and maybe can redo or try and find pic.
JT
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2020 at 2:02pm
I'll try again

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2020 at 2:03pm
Still can't post the older ones. I do the upload and see it ,but it doesn't show in post.
I'll try later maybe some body can explain why it's not working
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic