NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2004 216 Fuel Sending Unit Change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Redelf75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redelf75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2004 216 Fuel Sending Unit Change
    Posted: June-18-2020 at 5:45pm
Does anyone know the process to change the fuel sending unit on a 2004 216? Do you have to remove the rear seat base? What about the rear backrest? Where are the bolts? Or do you access the tank from the trunk by removing the floor and ballast tanks? Does the gas tank need to be emptied? Mine is full right now.

Thank you all in advance.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2020 at 6:08pm
Louis,
Before you go to the trouble of the sender R&R, I assume you have confirmed the sender is bad correct?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Redelf75 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redelf75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2020 at 7:32pm
Actually, no. But the gage moves, until it reaches 1/4 where it sticks. However, when I turn the engine off, it drops to E. Wouldn't that mean its not stuck? Could there be a third source of the problem?
Plus, my marina guy said its always (meaning almost always) the sending unit. Both my gage and the sending unit are original.

Thank you for your help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2020 at 8:45pm
Louis,
You may be seeing resistance in bad (corroded) connections causing the gauge not to zero out. It's worth a try to see what you can clean up. Any connection between the gauge and the sender, the connections on the sender and then the ground wire from the engine to the tank/sender. You've got nothing to lose and it's easier than the R&R of the sender.

Yes, the gauge will zero when then engine is turned off. There's no power.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2020 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Redelf75 Redelf75 wrote:

Actually, no. But the gage moves, until it reaches 1/4 where it sticks. However, when I turn the engine off, it drops to E. Wouldn't that mean its not stuck? Could there be a third source of the problem?
Plus, my marina guy said its always (meaning almost always) the sending unit. Both my gage and the sending unit are original.

Thank you for your help.

Redelf

On your boat once you get the interference out of the way so you can see the tank and sending unit, you'll find a 2 plug connector at the tank for the sending unit. One wire is Pink, the other is Black

To find out if the gauge works, you can do the following

Unplug the connector, then turn the key to the RUN position, the gauge should read Empty

Next with the key still in the RUN position, take a small jumper to connect the Pink and Black pins together on the wiring harness side of the connector and the gauge should read Full

Assuming that you get the results mentioned, then the problem is with your sending unit.

If you get different results, post what you get for more help   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic