Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Acme 540 Prop

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
ccskier16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccskier16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2006 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this prop?

check this out

They are from down under.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2006 at 9:35pm
CCskier
after terminating several 4 blade OJ's i had the bright idea to replace it with a S/S wheel of some type. called and talked to several boat and trans. guys......... bottom line props are cheap; planataries and inards of a Velvet Drive are not. use the prop as the weak link of the chain,replace the nibral prop and you ski that day, break the tranny or shaft and you don't............ boat dr
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 9:40am
Ken,

Looks like the wife's got a new candlestick holder for the coffee table. Careful though, they look better in pairs.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 10:54pm
Can someone please tell me if my 79 Ski Tique has enough clearance to run a Acme 540? I have asked a lot and no straight answer yet. Boat dr. do you know? The stock Federal on it is smaller than what came on the Nautiques of the same year.
Thanks
Work to live, not live to work.

Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:29am
79' Acme once told me that a 540 would not work on my 78' Tigue with a 305, but I believe they recommended a "514" ??? I never went for it because I bought a SN with a 540 on it....

Moj'
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:00am
are you talking about clearance or we talking pitch?for clearance you need about 7.5 in. from c/L of prop shaft.13 in. for the prop,1.3 for blade to hull..........boat dr
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:25am
Anyone using the Acme #470 three blade on a SN. When I spoke with them it seemed like a good choice for my 95 snob. Still trying to decide three or four blade??

ernest
pushing for one for xmas.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 9:52am
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Anyone using the Acme #470 three blade on a SN. When I spoke with them it seemed like a good choice for my 95 snob. Still trying to decide three or four blade??

ernest
pushing for one for xmas.

Yup, Ive got one on my boat. Its a better prop than the Acme 422 (4 blade), Ive tried them both on mine and my father's boats. If youre currently running an 4-blade OJ legend, you'll notice a huge improvement with the 470. You'll turn 200 RPM higher on the top end, and the boat will be quicker and more responsive at all speeds.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 12:53pm
Thanks TRBenj! What boat ru running it on?
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 11:35pm
boat dr, all of the above. How do I measure for these? Do I need to just miss how clost to the hull can the prop come and be OK?
Thanks for the help.

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 11:45pm
boat dr, I just reread your reply and went out and looked at the boat and I think I understand what you mentioned.
I measured from the center of the shaft at the rear edge of the prop, to the hull is 7". From the end of the shaft to the rudder is 4". Is this to tight?

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 8:43am
75; that will be tight ,but should work ok.
coombskid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coombskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2006 at 11:31pm
I have an 88 2001 with a dinged up prop. Prop is a 3 blade, 13x13 ni-bral cup with a 1" tapered shaft. I think this is the original prop. Motor in boat is 351. Boat is being used for both skiing and wakeboarding. Question is, should I fix this prop or replace it (and if so with what?) I'm up in BC Canada so have lots of time to consider options!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2006 at 12:11am
Do you have a spare prop? If not, its worth considering a new one and having the old repaired to keep as a backup. That way youre not out of commision for a few weeks during the summer if you damage your prop again.

Do you weight your boat? Do you do much barefooting? Both the Acme 540 and 542 are highly regarded and will outperform that original prop. The 542 will have the better holeshot, while the 540 will give you a little more speed.
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2006 at 9:32pm
Steve,

I speak from recent experience....you won't be disappointed with an Acme prop if you are accustomed to the original. I had an OJ 4 blade and went to the 540 and wondered why I didn't do it sooner.     
Heath
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 1:25am
Does any one think I would be making a mistake by going with the 542 over the 540. My Tique has a 302 and I want more hole shot.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 8:59am
It depends. What are you running for top speed/RPM now? What are you planning on doing with the boat?

If you dont plan on adding weight, then I think you'll be impressed with the holeshot of the 540. The 542 will probably be a little slower on the top end- which may be important if you barefoot.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 9:00am
My suggestion is the 542 for 302's or smaller and the 540 for the 351's. I run a 542 behind a 289 and get 30 MPH at 3000 RPM's and 40 MPH at 4000 RPM's. Great hole shot and also cured porpoising. I was actually hoping for a few hundred more RPM at each MPH, but I still like the prop.

Pulling a 200 LB plus slalom skier is easy and the boat keeps speed even when the big boy is rounding a buoy.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 9:10am
If you do end going with the 542 I believe Rleinen has a brand new one, never been on a boat that is for sale. Rob's email is private so if you are interested send me an email with your contact info and I'll make sure he knows you want it.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 11:37am
81nautique, I do want that 542. Tell Rob he can email me at chladeks@outlawnet.com thanks for the connection.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 11:41am
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

81nautique, I do want that 542. Tell Rob he can email me at chladeks@outlawnet.com thanks for the connection.

Done.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 11:50am
Cool Thanks. I sent you an email as well with some phone numbers.

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 11:55am
79tique......check your email

Rob
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2006 at 12:07pm
No new messages did you send to chladeks@outlawnet.com ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic