NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alternator ground melting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alternator ground melting
    Posted: June-23-2020 at 3:04am
Hi All,
Today I went to start my 1986 2001, first time this year, and while the engine was cranking over, the alternator ground wire started melting/smoking. I saw the smoke and stopped cranking it over, checked the connections and tried again and the ground continued smoking and the starter would not turn over the engine, but you can hear it engage and hum until I let go of the key. I got this boat running 4 years ago and I haven't had any issues with charging/wiring/starting. Battery's were replaced last year and kept on a battery tender. Three years ago I replaced all the battery cables and installed 2 battery's with a perko switch. What should I look at? Is the alternator bad? Maybe the starter?
Thank you,
Shawn
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 7:42am
Shawn,
Does you engine still use the external voltage regulator? Is the wire the black one going to the regulator?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 3:24pm
There is no external voltage regulator, the wire runs from the alternator body to the engine block.
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 8:16pm
I think I'd unwire the alternator, make sure the batteries are charged and try to and start the engine.

You'll probably figure out kinda quickly if it's a starter related problem or an alternator problem.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 10:04pm
I can't recall having an engine with a alternator ground wire.   They ground thru the mounting points.
Is it possible the alt output has been hooked up to ground?    That would make it smoke!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2020 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I can't recall having an engine with a alternator ground wire.   They ground thru the mounting points.
Is it possible the alt output has been hooked up to ground?    That would make it smoke!

Plenty of alternators out there with a ground wire or strap.

Let Google be your friend

Looking at some of Cueball's old posts he has what looks like a Delco alternator and they have a ground tab on the case for a grounding wire or strap.

it may ground through the mounting bolts to the engine but the tab gives another I guess you'd say redundant ground path.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2020 at 7:42am
Sounds like the main battery ground is bad where is it connected to the engine? Take a set of jumper cables and connect the black to the battery negative and then to a good connection on the engine . If it cranks normally its the ground cable.
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 3:00am
Thanks for the replies, So today I decided to do a little more troubleshooting.

First I just turned the key to on, and the ground wire did not get hot. Check for voltage and for bad wires too.

Then I decided to follow KENO's suggestion and disconnected all the wires to the alternator but the ground and cranked over the engine and the ground wire sill gets hot and even bounces around.

Then I disconnected the ignition/neutral wire and jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver and the ground wire still got hot and bounced around.

Also the starter would only engage and not turn over the engine.

I believe it is the starter or solenoid that is bad. so I'm going to order new ones.
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 7:18am
Shawn,
I suggest not getting new parts just yet. You mentioned you checked voltage. What voltage are you getting both without cranking the engine and also when cranking? I'm having a hard time understanding how there's still current running through that ground wire when all the other wires to the alternator are disconnected. Disconnect that ground wire too. I also suggest having the batteries load tested. When you are trying to crank the engine, what setting is the Perko switch on? Both?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 8:15am
I'd definitely try the jumper like Nautiquehunter said, if nothing has been removed yet, only takes a minute to try it.

If you take the starter out, you can bench test it with no load, with a set of jumper cables pretty easily too.

And............if you decide to get a new starter, get an Arco 70201 (or something that cross references to it) for a Reverse Rotation engine. 70200 if it's for standard rotation

it's the more modern PMGR starter. It weighs about half as much, draws about half as much current and turns the engine over faster. (and it's easier to install because of the smaller size and weight)

A slight wiring change is required..............you won't have any trouble handling the change.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 10:15am
Please do as Michael says, its electrically valid advice.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 6:16pm
Ok, I did some more troubleshooting

All the testing I did with only one or the other battery, never both at the same time.

12.8 volts to the solenoid

12.6 volts on the solenoid starter side when cranking

Disconnected the ground from the battery to the block and ran a jumper cable with no changes. 12.7 volts with the jumper cables.

Also this time around troubleshooting, the starter would only click. no hard engage.
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 6:40pm
Shawn,
It's looking more and more like you have a starter problem. Ken provided some great info on a new one. You could also open up you existing and see what's going on inside. I still very confused on why that ground strap on the alternator is taking a beating. Have you had the engine running after you installed the Perko?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2020 at 6:57pm
Pete,
I think its the starter too, I just ordered on through skidim. I have had the Perko switch for 3 years with no issues and I check the voltage at the Perko switch and everything seems to be operational
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
cueball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cueball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 4:03pm
I changed the starter, starter solenoid and I upgraded to 105 amp alternator and it is starting with no problems. I jumped the old starter and all it would do it come out, but it wouldn't spin, so I'm sure it was the starter.

Thanks for all the help.

Shawn
Shawn
1986 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic