Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carter M60389 vs M6696 fuel pumps

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carter M60389 vs M6696 fuel pumps
    Posted: June-28-2020 at 6:42pm
I currently have an undersized, non-marine fuel pump in my boat, and want to convert back to a proper marine setup. I understand the Carter M60389 is the OEM replacement. However, I noticed that the M6696 is also supposed to fit the PCM 351W engine. The 6696 clearly has some fitting at the bottom that the 60389 doesn't have. Can anyone tell me what that is? Carter customer service is particularly unresponsive.

Any recommendations between the two pumps?

M60389
M6696
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2020 at 8:56pm
That's just a small fuel filter on 6696. I personally like the way the fuel overflow fitting is on 60389. The other one looks to come out the opposite side and is straight rather than a 90. But the extra filter is nice if you have fuel issues
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 6:50pm
And anyone with any views on the Airtex 60389 compared to the Carter M60389?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

And anyone with any views on the Airtex 60389 compared to the Carter M60389?

Pretty much the same foreign made pump in different packaging

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2020 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Pretty much the same foreign made pump in different packaging

Sierra 18-7267 better than these two?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 8:00am
This site says the Sierra pump does not make provision for a fuel return line: link. Which would make it a no go?

It does look like there's a third opening from the images on Amazon though: link. Circled in red below. So which is right?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 8:30am
Read the thread in the link........and look at the pictures too   

It should answer your questions about the different style pumps and that threaded port between the 2 diaphragms on the Sierra copy of an AC dual diaphragm pump

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Read the thread in the link........and look at the pictures too   

It should answer your questions about the different style pumps and that threaded port between the 2 diaphragms on the Sierra copy of an AC dual diaphragm pump

link

Great, thanks Ken.

So which would you recommend: Carter, Airtex or Sierra? From some of your comments in other fuel pump related threads I took it that you had some misgivings about the recent Carter and Airtex pumps? The Sierra is way more expensive - but maybe worth it for better reliability?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2020 at 9:10am
I think they're all about equal.

Maybe a bad batch of the Carter/Airtex pumps since nobody lately seems to have had a problem with them.

I'd recommend the Siecartex..................or maybe the Cartexierra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic