Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ski pylon mount

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dynasim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynasim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ski pylon mount
    Posted: July-02-2020 at 12:29am
I want to build a ski pylon frame from steel that is epoxies/bolted to the stringers on my 67 riviera that I am refurbishing. I am huge(6'9"/280), and I don't want to worry about it. I'll deal with the pylon itself later.

What I would like to do would be to use 1/8" carbon steel plates about 6' long that extend beyond the back of the engine, and about 2' forward of the engine.   

The pylon would be about 6 inches in front of the motor, and the hole would be supported by 2 c sections welded to the top and bottom of the stringer mounted plates.

I'd weld an L at the bottom, contouring it to the bottom and bed that into the boat bottom, just like the stringers.   The welding would be done before installation in the boat.

This will never see salt water. I'm not willing to spend the money for stainless or aluminum(I'd pass on the concept before doing that).

My specific question is whether the use of carbon steel in the application is ok?

chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic