NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Broken shaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 1:23pm
try cutting the rest of the bad shaft out and press the coupling off in a press, you may have to use a cut off wheel, be careful of the sparks or you can use a h bar puller wih bolts. its hard to use a slide hammer to do this. there are split type couplings available which do not use the taper shaft, you use a straight shaft with a key and the coulping is split down the middle with 2 bolts when you tighten these bolts the coupling is clamped right onto the shaft, they are the cats a$$ they are available from t.m.i 1-800-462-8848
"the things you own will start to own you"
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 1:47pm
my bad, i thought you were having trouble pulling the shaft out.
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 3:10pm
Hey boat dr,

Do you know if I have enough clearance to run these Acme props that folks rave about like the 542 on my 79 Ski Tique with a new but stock shaft?
Work to live, not live to work.

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Martinique Martinique wrote:

Is there a tool to help remove the shaft from the coupling? I have the coupling unbolted from the tranny and the set bolts removed but I cannot seam to loosen the shaft from the coupling. any ideas?

Try reading this thread for ideas. I'd recomend replacing the shaft with a double tapered shaft. Makes all that a non-issue, the way I understand it.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

the previous owner must have added it because he was storing the boat in salt water, if he hadn't painted over it, it might have been some help.

That's funny!
Aside from the drag/turbulance issues, I'd be concerned about holding a prop in the strut turning at 3-4K rpm that just broke loose from the shaft. It might saw into the hull instead of flying off to the bottom of the lake and that would suck. Plus the prop would be all beat up.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 5:26pm
jimbo, i like the double tapers too it is a hell of alot easier removing them and re-installing them. With the straight shafts i like the split clamp type coupling they are really easy to r and r.
"the things you own will start to own you"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 5:33pm
79; my '64 ame w/a 12 in. dia. prop,that was the reason for extending my shaft.you should have the room,measure C/L of prop shaft to the floor of your boat,if you have 7.75in. or more you can swing a 13in. wheel w/no problemo...........boat dr.

i have about 1.30 in. prop to hull clearance,too close and it will burn(pull the gel)the bottom..........
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 2:34am
Thanks boar dr. I'll check it out.
Work to live, not live to work.

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 5:14pm
My shaft in my 82 SN broke last year exactly the same way. New shaft, dripless packing, new prop. About two nights to replace it. It was the first time i had ever removed the shaft, so it took me a while. I think I cut the shaft to get it out of the boat. All parts and advice came from SKIDIM.

ernest
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic