Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need a reference picture

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a reference picture
    Posted: October-04-2006 at 8:38pm
Would someone be so kind as to post a picture of the rear engine/transmission (1:1 Velvet drive) area of their boat. In particular I'm interested in how the cooler connects to the bellhousing and the fittings on the cooler hoses.
I had the tranny out for some work and I ordered new hoses and no matter how I arrange things, it doesn't fit quite right. I'm suspecting the shorter hose is too short but would like to compare before I order a longer one.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 8:59pm

69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:08pm
Top View

Looking at SB side

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:26pm
Mine is a '66. The bracket that holds the cooler uses a bell housing bolt.

Tim D
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:27pm
Cooler at housing.

The black hose is the top hose is the long hose. The short is bottom/blue.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 9:56am
Jimbo:

Maybe I should know, but I don't...what type engine? Ford or Chevy?

I believe the coolers are mounted to the bellhousing bolts for either engine. However, Fords are mounted on Port side and Chevy's on Starboard side.

I also believe that the lower hose on the cooler attaches to the rear upper oil fitting on the tranny and the lower upper hose on the cooler attaches to the drain or lower fitting on the tranny.

All going by memory, and others might be able to clarify. I bet the engine manuals in the reference section has pictures that would help you out.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 2:53pm
Thanks for the pics. The engine is a Ford 351W, 1983 model. I'm pretty sure the short hose I ordered is too short. I ordered it from Skidim, hmmm. Tim, your cooler looks to be mounted upside down. Shouldn't the drain plug be on the bottom?
The manual wasn't much help for me.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 3:12pm
It may be upside down, it was like that when I bought it 16 years ago.
Tim D
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 3:29pm
16 years lol. I guess I wouldn't change it. As long as the hot oil goes in where the cold water is, it shouldn't matter. And I doubt that even matters too much.
I've got the "in water" hose coming across the top with the sea strainer and the "out water" hose runa along side the bottom of the engine. The "out" hose is too short to go in the top of the cooler, so I know I've got that part right -- if that makes any sense.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 5:41pm
water flow should be opposite of oil flow for the cooler to work properly.top fitting is pressure bottom is return,Eric am i correct on this,we have had this discussion before.............boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic