Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 318 chrys. 210 HP electronic igniti

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 318 chrys. 210 HP electronic igniti
    Posted: October-05-2006 at 8:49am
I am thinking of replacing the points ignition with a electronic ignition (including new distributer)on my '68 Barracuda this winter. The distributer is original so I just as well replace it at the same time rather than just add a pertronics unit. Any suggestion as to brand,ect.? Thanks ,Jim B.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 12:06pm
Call Dave at hurrikain marine, very knowledgeable Chrysler guy. I think that you will have to go with a Mallory unit, I plan on doing mine this winter.

Gary

http://www.hurrikain.com/ChryslerMarineStore.htm
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 7:42pm
I did my 66 318M when I bought it 7 years ago. I cleaned and lubed the original distributor when I rebuilt the engine. It had salt water in 4 of the cylinders when I bought it. I added the petronix module and it was the easiest and best modification I made. The boat now belongs to a an old family friend. I put 150 hours on it and he uses it once a year for a week at Tahoe. It has never failed to start and run perfectly. I wouldn't change the distributor just clean the mechanical advance and your done.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 7:46pm
Jim, I've got a 318LM in the Nautique, I put in a petronix electronic ignition in (I used the same original distributor) two summers ago and the engine just runs and starts great.

Chuck

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 11:24pm
some members are high on replacing the complete unit,i too replaced the points set up with a module,Mallory uni-lite .i think its the best bang for your buck. if we were turning these motors 7500 rpm this would not be an option,the points worked just fine for 20 yrs.Old Red Neck "proverb;you dont have to use a sledgehammer to kill a fly "............boat dr
barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 8:51am
Makes perfect sense to me,thanks all for the feed back! Jim Beville
barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2006 at 11:53am
Getting ready to order one off ebay, will the standard pertronix unit for 1965-75 mopars work? thanks , Jim B.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic