NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM buzzing noise

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM buzzing noise
    Posted: October-07-2006 at 10:15am
I was in my office this morning aka (the bathroom) and i needed some reading material so i grabbed a PCM manual and learned my one thing for the day.
a couple weeks back we were discussing transmission noise from a pcm on turns, I believe 79 was involved in the conversation. Apparently this transmission is known as a IRM-40A and there has been 3 control valve configurations type 1, type 2, type 3, It says they have been redesigned (in their words) " to eliminate objectional noise known as regulator valve buzz, that is the type 2 and 3 valves
"the things you own will start to own you"
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 11:10am
Yep, I remmeber talking about the buzzing noise before. Seems to me you are suppose to add a short piece of capped off hydraulic hose (couple inches) in place of an oil pa$$age plug. Or something similiar. The purpose of the hose is ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 1:27pm
probaly to act like an accumulator (shock absorber) in the hydraulic system, they usually use these on many different transmissions to eliminate hard shifts, except it will be a spool valve with springs, same idea with the rubber hose it dampens the buzzing noise
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 1:50pm
I applied this fix to my last boat, but the buzz was at idle only. It was really abnoxious, but the hose fixed the issue right away. Couldn't believe that much noise could be caused by fluid. Very mechanical sounding, almost squeaky sounding noise. Sounded like an old, beat-up washing machine on the spin cycle. IIRC the hose is to increase the size of the valve chamber so the fluid has somewhere to go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2006 at 3:09pm
that noise is actually the valve moving back and forth at a high speed, that is a cheesy factory repair, hopefully the hose wont let loose
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic