NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Intrusion!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Intrusion!
    Posted: October-09-2006 at 6:58pm
I've known I've been getting too much water in the bilge--today I had time to take up the floor covering the port exhaust channel, where I suspected the leak was.
I put the boat in the water and reved the engine up to 3000 rpms. I was thinking there would be a leak in the exhaust hoses. Not a drop of water. I then had my son power the boat up on a plane, and that's when the water started coming in.
Here is the mystery to me. The water comes in above the nut for the ski platform, and above where the speedo tube pa$$es through (also above the exhaust port). In fact the water only comes in when the boat is up and running, when the transom is completely above the water line. It is a stream about the diameter of a pipe cleaner. When the boat settles back in the water the leak stops.
I can't quite see the origin of the stream because the gas tank blocks the view.
Any ideas?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
bbrech1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrech1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 8:46pm
Could it be the speedo tube itself leaking water. If there was a hole in the the tube, than water could be forced out of the hole in the tube while the boat was running.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 9:04pm
I would have to agree with the speedo tubing. It might have a hole on top making it look like it is coming in above the tube. I can't of anything else that could cause that.
Greg

86 BFN
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2006 at 9:59pm
Thanks guys, that makes sense. I have one speedo on the dash that works, I believe that speedo is conneceted to the starboard pitot. On the old Nautiques they used to mount a speedo on the transom so the spotter/referee could also monitor the boat's speed through the course. So, I think the port pitot was originally for that aft speedometer, my guess is that's the tube that is leaking. I disconnected the tube tonight and if it's not rainy tomorrow I'll give it a try, but that would sure explain why the water just comes in when the boat is moving.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic