Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pertronix for LM318(210hp)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pertronix for LM318(210hp)
    Posted: October-12-2006 at 7:17am
Will the standard Pertronix kit(as see on ebay ect.) for a 1968 Chrysler 318 work on my right hand turning LM318? Also , there is a higher powered version called the "Igniter 2" by pertronics. Same type install, but higher output between 3000-5000rpm. Anyone tried one? Thanks ,Jim B.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2006 at 8:24pm
Try Dave at Hurrikain Marine He will KNOW what will work for your application.

hurrikain
Cape Cod CC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 12:43am
My 1980 Ski Nautique came with an "Ignitor II" when I bought it. I do not have a point of reference compared to the "Igniter" but I can tell you it performs excellent. I have tached it up to 4800 rpm with not as much as a hick up. Very smooth through the entire RPM range. It also starts excellent (except when my boat has been run then shut down, due to carb issue, not ignition). It should also help with fuel economy and also stretch your plug life a bit. Go for the “Ignitor II" They’re only a few bucks more and once you have it you will not second guess your purchase. They’re pretty high-tech and there is more than meet the eye here. Check out the quote from a review I read on line…

“The Ignitor II differs from the Ignitor in that it's a "smart" ignition system, able to sense current levels of power in the ignition coil and adjust the dwell as you drive. We're talking more than four times the available energy from the coil than in a point-triggered distributor! When you add the Pertronix Flame-Thrower II coil, ignition energy doubles. What's more, the Ignitor II adjusts spark timing as rpm changes. The Ignitor II also watches over your shoulder, automatically shutting off the ignition system if the ignition switch is accidentally left on.”

Link to Article

I think this would be a great "Featured Product" for the web site. Perhaps a members could right a review and give Keith a break. Who knows, maybe we can get a discount on them...

Vince

1980 SN
Cape Cod
1980 SN

Busted Knuckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busted Knuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 6:43pm
I have the pertronix app book on my desk

Chrysler distributor v -8 vacuum advance
kit is 1361A
pII is 91361A

ml318 maybe?

with prestolite distrib,,, which cap does it have clip down? 1581, yes runs right or left

screw down? 1582, yes runs right or left
no problems

91581 or 91582 for the Ignitor II

we really need to know which distributor you have .........

I 've installed dozens of these they are best thing you can do to your boat!

BKG
Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 10:03pm
I was wondering how many of you guys have a Pertronix ignition conversion and how they have worked for you. I imagine there are other conversion kits to remove points and would like to hear about peoples experiences with those as well...

Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 7:36pm
I put one on my 66 M318 Barracuda. Worked flawlessly for the 3 years I had it and continues to work for my friend that bought it. It was the best 120 bucks I have ever spent on a boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 9:11am
When I spoke to Vince at SkiDIM, he recommends the Prestolite EI kit over the Pertronix for Prestolite distributors.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 9:40am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

When I spoke to Vince at SkiDIM, he recommends the Prestolite EI kit over the Pertronix for Prestolite distributors.

wounder why he said that???????

maybe because that's what he sells and doesn't stock the others, ya think????
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 9:56am
Is the Prestolite EI kit the same idea where all of the components go in the distributor?

I wonder if it is a "smart" ignition and changes the dwell as needed. I need to get a set up for my Century Resorter with a 318 which I do not think is a Prestolite ignition. I agree with 79 that Vince recommends what he stocks. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Do you guys have any idea on cost difference between these companies?

Hey 79 what type of ignition do you use in your boat? I am sure you checked out the products before you bought.

Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 10:01am
or maybe he has installed this unit before and it has proven to be the best bang for the buck,Vince has been in this game longer than most of us,and i still call him on certain issues.any boat repair shop loves to see a boat come down the driveway for repairs,what we hate is an irrate boater on Monday morn. pissed off cause the part WE installed went bad,buy the parts that go with together and dont mix and match........ boat dr
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 10:08am
Cape Cod CC

dont understand the meaning or the term; smart and chages the "dwell" as needed.Dwell is a term used w/points or breaker ign. denotes the time in degrees that the points are closed to charge the coil, no poinnts ,no dwell........... boat dr
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 10:18am
I am not second guessing Vince... I just want to get an idea on the differences between the two products. Perhaps one system is better than the other in some application. That is what the dialog is about.

Now as far as a Chrysler 318 goes, what type of ignition did they use? I do not know if Chrysler sourced it to Prestolite. If so maybe the Prestolite would be better. I still do not know if the Prestolite does the auto dwell adjustment though. Perhaps I should give Vince a call.

Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 10:39am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

wounder why he said that???????

maybe because that's what he sells and doesn't stock the others, ya think????

Nope, SkiDIM sells both. I cant remember why the Prestolite was recommended over the Pertronix. I believe both modules are installed the same way.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 12:23pm

Nope, SkiDIM sells both. I cant remember why the Prestolite was recommended over the Pertronix. I believe both modules are installed the same way.

Prestolite vs. Mallory issue.

I'm not a big fan of the conversion kits bought one junked it and bought a real distributor with an optical pick-up and HO coil.

don't focus on the engine, unless your buying a new distributor, focus on the distributor brand and model number that is in it now. And you want to upgrade with a conversion kit to replace the points.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 12:59pm

Prestolite vs. Mallory issue.

Not entirely. Both Prestolite and Pertronix make EI kits for Prestolite distributors. Not sure if you have a choice on the Mallory's.

I'm not a big fan of the conversion kits bought one junked it and bought a real distributor with an optical pick-up and HO coil.

don't focus on the engine, unless your buying a new distributor, focus on the distributor brand and model number that is in it now. And you want to upgrade with a conversion kit to replace the points.

Im not a big fan either. When my EI module quit, I upgraded to a DUI. Good advice on looking only at the dist p/n if you go with an EI module.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 9:02pm
boat dr

By smart it just means the ability for the ignition to self adjust dwell.

As far as the auto adjust of the dwell, it increases the amount of dwell time needed to keep the coil at its peak output capability as RPM increases. Most ignitions/coils loose voltage as RPM increases due to the shortened dwell time i.e. coil charge time.

Conventional systems use a happy medium for their dwell point, a very saturated coil at idle with diminishing voltages as RPM increases. With this system there is no compromise on either end of the RPM range. Uniform high voltage at all RPMs.

I did check on the Prestolite and it does not have this feature, but allows use of a standard rotor, cap and coil so there is a simplicity and cost benefit to it.

Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

Busted Knuckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busted Knuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2006 at 5:26pm
the Pertronix kit has a 30 month warranty
and can be found for under $100 bucks

Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic