NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine removal and reinstall

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine removal and reinstall
    Posted: October-13-2006 at 5:16pm
I will be replacing the stringers and floor in my boat and am going to tackle it myself. My biggest concern is with the engine reinstall and alignment. Is this the nightmare that it seems? How do you know where to reinstall the engine mounts etc.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 8:09pm
do some measurements and take lots of pictures, the biggest concern is forward and aft get those measurements from a known point so the engine falls back where it needs to be, the alignment will be the easy part, you should have some type of ace mounts for up and down . you may want to buy an angle gauge and also get some angles.the job is not that bad if you pay attention on the dis-a$$embly and get many measurements
"the things you own will start to own you"
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 8:12am
Don't use a chain hooked to the front and back of the engine during reinstall. It's way easier with one of those plates that bolts to the carb studs that has a loop in the center.
Tim D
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 8:33pm
The plate is great unless you have an aluminum intake. In which the threads for the carb may or may not hold up to the weight of the motor.

Seen it happen before it was a bick block that ripped the threads out of the intake, but to be safe I don't use the plate with alm intake.

Just my opinion from a bad experience. Fortunately was a friends motor for his car, I was just there to help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 8:34pm
almost forgot, instead on the plate I use a spreader bar that is threaded and you can turn the nut what ever way you need the motor to tilt.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 9:12pm
You talking about a load leveler?

I used one when I removed the engine, but it was easier to wiggle the engine around with the intake plate on install because of being attached to the chain in the center vs. both ends.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 4:54pm
good pic Tim that was exactly what I was talking about. Never had a problem using one, guess I should consider myself lucky.
1987SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 7:50pm
Swatkinz,

Everyone agrees that you need good measurements to make sure things go back in the right place. Here is a technique that will make it easy and is incredibly accurate.

You can triangulate the exact location of every critical bolt. On each side of the boat (on the inside) pick three points from front to back (known reference points). This was easy on my boat because it had screws holding trim. Number and mark each point.

To determine the measurements to each place you want to record simply measure from each of the three known reference points directly to the bolt. (you really only need to use two points)

Make a sketch. Label the known points on your sketch and the bolts. Record the three measurements to each bolt location.

Once you are finished rebuilding everything inside you can easily find the position of every bolt hole to a very high degree of accuracy. Just measure from each reference point and draw an arc. The arcs overlap to share a common intersection point. That is where your bolt is supposed to go.

This is the easy part of the job.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 7:57pm
Wow That's the easiest I've ever seen. I used the spreader and mine went back in perfectly. Luckily I didnt have to replace the stringers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic