Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

thermostat housing, impellar

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thermostat housing, impellar
    Posted: October-14-2006 at 11:44am
I'm trying to remove the thermostat housing - the screws are out, but it's not going to budge. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don't want to damage anything trying to get it off.

Also, after removing the impeller, discovered that 2 vanes had broken off. The hose between the water pump and thermostat housing was clean. Do I let this go, or should I be searching for them? Thanks
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 12:47pm
the thermostat housing is just stuck from the gasket. Carefully bang on it. Or sometimes you can use a putty knife to get under the gasket and that will give you some leverage on it.

The rubber for the impeller is probably in there somewhere. If you don't want to rip into it, then just keep your eye on the temp gage. A common place for pieces to show up is near the tranny oil cooler.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2006 at 3:25pm
yup - putty knife did the trick. thanks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 9:33am
Those impellor pieces will get stuck in the exhaust manifolds and in the bypa$$ hose 90 degree fixture if you have one. They are also the perfect size to get stuck in water veins in the block. Use a little blue rtv to hold the gasket in place when you put the thermostat back in.
Tim D
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 2:05pm
Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't familiar with that, but I'll give it a try. The old gasket is a mess - any tips on cleaning the housing to prep for the new gasket?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 6:21pm
Get one of those gla$$ scrapers that holds a razor blade.
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 9:39pm
Gasket remover makes the work easier too. Comes in a spray can, available at auto parts stores.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2006 at 10:07pm
Yeah, that stuff works great on head gaskets, but never had to use it on a thermo gasket.
Tim D
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2006 at 8:28pm
I use a wirebrush that goes in a drill motor, removes left over stuck on gasket but no metal from thermo housing or intake.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 8:01pm
I usually use a gasket scraper. You really want to find those pieces. I would check the Tranny cooler and the hoses to the manifolds. It is possible that they will block a cooling loop and all of a sudden the manifold or block will get really hot. It could do some damage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic