Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

carpet gluing ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carpet gluing ?
    Posted: October-17-2006 at 6:45pm
I have read all posts, but I still need some advise on spreading the glue on the floor.Did you guys spread the glue over an entire side and lay the big carpet floor piece down.Or just lay the big carpet piece down without the glue and lift it up a small part at a time the put the glue under it.Also,what is the best way to seal the floor after sanding ? I was thinking about West systems epoxy and paint it over everything without a thickener. Thanks for all the tips on removal , cutting, carpet type! Dan
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 7:53pm
Get a roll of red rosin paper to make a pattern of your floor. Transfer the patern to the carpet. Cut the carpet to fit, leave it a little oversize for final trimming later. Fold half of the carpet back onto itself and spread the adhesive with your notched trowel. Let the adhesive tack up and slowly and carefully roll the carpet back onto the adhesive, bedding it down as you go, ensuring no wrinkles. Now fold the other half back onto the glued down side and repeat.

I put three coats of epoxy on all surfaces of the floor (especially the edges) The first coat was thinned 15% with acetone to help the wood soak it up.

dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 8:37pm
Thanks Gary ,great idea. That's how I will do it.Dan
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2006 at 2:06pm
dans,

If your floor is still bare, consider using Clear Penetrating Exopy Sealer as a primer under the West system's epoxy. Another fourm member recommended this to me when I was working on my floor. The stuff is about the consistency of diesel fuel and will deeply penetrate the wood. The best price I found for it was from rotdoctor.com
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 7:04pm
When I redo my boat I am going to put snaps in and snap the new carpet in the floor. That way I can take it out and get all of the sand out of it.
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 10:06pm
I'm done.I did it like 65 'cuda said.The epoxy made it super hard.If I ever do it again I might use contact cement,not as messy.Thanks for the help.Dan
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 7:35am
Dan, did you use the epoxy to attach the carpet? I dont believe thats what Mark and '65 were recommending- I think the epoxy was meant only as a sealer for the new floor. I will be using indoor/outdoor carpet glue when I put down my carpet.
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 12:42pm
Yes , I used the outdoor carpet glue after I sealed the floor..I cleaned up the drops I spilled with mineral spirits & a rag.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic