Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help w/Homework!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help w/Homework!
    Posted: October-24-2006 at 2:40pm
So i'm writing a paper about Correct Craft and I wanted to know if you all could give me some numbers/info?! I checked out the refrence section and that helped big time! I wanted to see if anyone could tell me how many different boats Correct Craft has come out with over the years? Anyone know approximatly how many boats they sell a year? And lastly how long have they been in business? I know that brocures start in the 40's-50's but wasnt sure if they were in business before? Also I want to say I read somewhere that they manufactured boats for a war? Not sure? Any other interesting facts would be awesome! Thanks for the help!
mars
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 2:43pm
This looks like a job for BKH!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
az86-2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote az86-2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 2:52pm
I have a leaflet I scanned into a PDF of the war production efforts of Correct Craft. How can I upload this to help you out?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:18pm
post on photobucket then list here using the url photobucket a$$igns to the picture.

I believe they started manufacturing boats in 1925, if you read the begining of the pamplets some have a breif history statement on them.
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:19pm
read the intro to the 1978 owners manual in the engines and transmissions section. Lots of history and a bit on the war effort.
Thanks Bobby

there's no replacement for displacement
az86-2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote az86-2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:23pm
I can't access photobucket from work. I emailed Keith the PDF I have about the war effort to post in the references if he chooses, but if you need it ealier, I would be happy to email it to you or anyone else.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:40pm
A few suggestions:

1) Go to www.correctcraft.com. Click on History.
There you will get a nice synopsis of the History of Correct Craft which began in 1925 and was originally know as the Florida Variety boat company.

2) Get a copy of a book called "Parting the Waters." CC typically provides a copy to all new CC purchasers. It is a little on the religious side, but paints a nice picture of correct craft, including extensive discussions about how CC built boats for the military in prep for the Normandy invasion, and how CC refused to file for bankruptcy during the seventies, instead choosing to pay off every last creditor.

3) Not sure how you would track down all the models made over 80 years.

4) How many boats produced each year is tough to say. The Ski industry is kind of secretive about the numbers, and most bost more production than they actually have. Because most are private companies, they can do that. Two years ago, I asked Gary Meloon aobut the number of boats produced. I know I've written the numbers in other posts, but I can't remember them any longer. I believe it was about 800.

5) Call Gary Meloon. In the few times I've met him, I've found him to be very helpful, and very excited to talk about the company.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:55pm
Ok, I found it. 2 years ago, Gary Meloon claimed 2000-2200 boats. I don't know how the new factory, etc. impacts that number.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

redneck7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneck7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 4:44pm
Worth noting that it was called "Florida Variety Boat Company" from 1925 until he changed it to Correct Craft in 1936.

Few other good facts on this page with a little blurb about Walter Meloon: http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/services/sites/floridians/?section=o
resorter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 8:46pm
Also went by Pine Castle Boat and Construction Company, actually this was the firms name during World War II when they built boats used by our troops in Europe.
Southwind 20
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 11:19pm
We just knew that BKH would have a well organized, fact-filled answer, now didn't we?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 11:58pm
You guys are awesome! thanks so much for the help! I knew i would get some great feedback! I will be wrighting a little about the history but more about how they market. Thats why I needed the number or different boats they have made and how many boats they sell. Anyone know of the innovations/options they were first to introduce to the market?
mars
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 2:09am
They own the patent for the wakeboard tower.
You'll have to check, but I believe the 1990s were the first comp boats with spray relief pockets.

BTW - the war boats were for the Rhine River crossing, not the Normandy invasion. Not much of a WWII buff.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 1:30pm
I believe they invented the swim platform or swim step as they called it.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 9:31pm
I believe I read some Correct Craft history that said they were the first official tournament ski boat...1958 I think.

I would guess they would be the first to offer a fibergla$$ inboard...1962!

Maybe a couple questions for Gary Meloon!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by stang72 stang72 wrote:

I would guess they would be the first to offer a fibergla$$ inboard...1962!

CC definitely not the first. Dan Arena's Arenacraft produced fibegla$$ inboards beginning in 1955. His nephew, also Dan Arena, tracked down the first and has restored it. The boat appears at many local boat shows. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic