Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Complete impeller failure advise needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
03AirNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03AirNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complete impeller failure advise needed
    Posted: April-22-2022 at 7:15pm
Just purchased a 2003 Air Nautique w/ PCM 5.7/ Excalibur 330.
I swapped out the impeller just to be safe and the old one wa as 98% gone. There was half of 2 blades left. I swapped out the impeller and went to warm up the engine with a flush buddy and noticed I wasn't getting water out of the exhaust. I pulled the thermostat housing and found a fin lodged in it. I've had to order gaskets so I'm just waiting now.

My question, should I be worried about the remaining fins? Should I pull the exhaust risers? Any advise is appreciated.
2003 Air Nautique- Excalibur 330/5.7 Vortec
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2022 at 9:20pm
First, Sorry, you are not the first to go down this road.  Your old impeller pieces are plugging your cooling system.   Remove your hoses at the thermostat and at your exhaust manifolds and probe backwards through each hose.   You should be able to recover enough parts to put the old impeller back together.  Small pieces may flush out but big pieces plug the hoses and inlets and will cause overheat issues.   At least you are working on this at home.  We have had to fix similar issues out on the lake when we were on a 4 day ski trip.   
Words of advice, if your impeller is 2 years old, change it before year 3 and you will never have this issue again.
Mark
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2022 at 10:14pm
I used to change several wear parts every year:  impeller, spark plugs, FCC filter, underwear, etc..  I eventually decided to modify my P.M. plan to every 2 years.  Tomorrow is swapping parts day at the Quest compound.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic