Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuck Fuel control cell canister

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Buoy-boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buoy-boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuck Fuel control cell canister
    Posted: October-24-2006 at 11:34pm
I'm winterizing my '99 nautique with the GT-40 engine. During the process I was trying to remove the canister that holds the fuel filter so I can replace the filter. I had left the 7/16" drain screw in place in the bottom of the canister and was just loosening the whole canister with an oil filter wrench.

Anyway, as I got it loose and am turning it with just my hands, gas starts to seep out the top. So I go to get a rag and a container to drain the gas into.

By the time I get back the canister went from freely turning by hand to being completely seized up. The fuel must have gotten into the threads and caused it to get stuck.

Even with the oil filter wrench I have no luck getting the canister to turn either direction.

What can I do?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 11:59am
Remove the canister and use brute force. Curious that you got it to turn a little. I have heard they are a bear to remove the first time around.
Buoy-boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buoy-boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 12:34pm
It was a bit stuck at first and I had to turn pretty hard.

I tried turning as hard as I could, to the point where the oil filter wrench seems to be bending a bit.

Is there any way of loosening it up?

Also, talking to the marina where I may have to take it to get it fixed, they claim that the fuel would definitely not cause it to lock up, and if anything the fuel would help lubricate it.

Do you guys agree with this?
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Buoy-boy Buoy-boy wrote:

Also, talking to the marina where I may have to take it to get it fixed, they claim that the fuel would definitely not cause it to lock up, and if anything the fuel would help lubricate it.

Do you guys agree with this?

Agree

Just replaced mine It was hard to turn but it did come off.

skifanatics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skifanatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 12:40pm
Did you ever get it off. I too am having a problem on my 2001. Never had a problem with my 1992. If so what did you do
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 12:45pm
Get a big strap wrench or chain wrench and have at it. I've nearly broken my strap wrench removing my FCC. It's very thick-walled so don't worry about crushing the canister.
skifanatics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skifanatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 7:50pm
As soon as the weather warms up that is what I was going to try. A strap wrench. But have not been able to find one. Also I'm a little worried about the mounting bracket twisting. Thanks
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 9:35am
the problem is you guys are installing it too tight, you don't need to use a wrench when installing hand tight is tight enough, same goes for the oil filter, you should be able to install and un-install the filters by hand, well that is unless you have a winnie grip, Once you get it off be sure not to over torque it when you re-install the new element.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:03am
Its the worst when you can barely touch the filter under the engine next to the stringer let alone spin it off. I always use white lithium or oil on the o-rings or seal and never use a wrench to tighten, always hand snug
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 10:19am
exactly how it's done Eric, lube the seal and hand tighten, if you don't lube it, it will stick and you won't get a good seal.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

the problem is you guys are installing it too tight

The FCC is notorious for being overtightened from the factory. Ive heard many people destroy them while attempting to replace them for the first time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:26pm
that's something you cann't control tim just besure not to re-install it that way.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

that's something you cann't control tim just besure not to re-install it that way.

The problem is it's aluminum on aluminum threading, and quite a bit of it. I've tried to be easy on it when threading it back on but yet it is always a real PITA to get off.

An oil filter is always hand tightened and has far smaller diameter, completely lubricated threads with a lubricated gasket, so it's not really apples-to-apples. I think the pure surface area of thread-to-thread contact on the FCC is just huge. Even the old Fram Long fuel filters just had a narrow diameter threaded rod inside that held them together, rather than the actual housing threading into the top.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic