NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wake Tab: Does it work?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1987SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wake Tab: Does it work?
    Posted: October-29-2006 at 7:23pm

I would be delighted if my boat hovered above the water leaving only a small trail of foam to remind me to release for the pre-turn. (It doesn't) I found this trim plate (in 22", 18", and 12" wide) on Overton's website. Advertisements for Tige Boats claim their trim plate plunges the transom deep into the water creating a large wake for boarders but also can lift the transom to create butter soft wakes for skiing. I think the principle is sound EXCEPT the hull on the SN is not flat across the transom like in the picture. Instead it has a deep spine in the center. Would the trim plate still work?       
Thanks, Bill

1987 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2006 at 8:42pm
Wouldn't it change the plane angle of the boat, by pushing down,lifting the back up and causing the bow to dip down? Malibu had a doo hicky that was on the back of the boat under the water, like a plow that created a larger wake.
Tim D
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 11:21am
That's a good question Bill. I would think that the plate would still create some difference in your wake. My 87 supra had a plate like that and   with it down, it created a smaller wake which was better for slalom. It may have pushed the bow down, but when planed out, what it did more than anything was lift the stern out of the water.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 11:27am
With the shape of your hull, I would not think a single trim tab in the center would be effective. It might also cause some cavitation (not sure). It seems possible that two trim tabs, such as used on offshore boats, might work, but I have my doubts. By the time you sink the time and money into the tabs, seems to me that you would be money ahead to sell you boat and buy a newer model. Even if you go with the tabs, you risk that they don't work as you had wanted them to work. My $.02. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 11:51am
Don't the new Correct Crafts have a similar trim tab?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Don't the new Correct Crafts have a similar trim tab?

Not exactly. The newer Nautiqes are available with a "hydrogate." The device is able to shape the wake depending on the position. I believe on the 196, it is supposed to be down for slalom and up for trick and jump.

As I understand it, it mainly has an affect on the rooster tail and consequently the table. Actual wake size isnt supposed to change, and supposedly the boat drives the same in either position.

On the other hand, the trim tab will force the front of the boat down (and lift up the stern) when it is in the down position. This may help the slalom wake a bit, as youre spreading the weight of the boat over a larger surface area. Ive seen pics of one used on a MC and it also cut down the rooster tail- but it was installed in the center (as pictured). Not sure if you could do that due to the shape of a Nautique hull.

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 3:40pm
seen one on a master craft before, the guy used it to increase the wake size. which it did do that but he told be it did become hard to drive at times, espcecialy in sharp turns. But his wasn't so much a trim tab. It to me seemed like it was just a bar weight that attached to the boat much like the trim tab.

He wasn't very happy with it, after he saw the wake my brother 88 2001 produced.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 3:58pm
I believe the Hydrogate slides up and down vertically, making a lip which covers the tunnel- so that whole triangle of metal slides up and down, rather than that rectangle piece hinging up and down like a trim tab. The rectangle piece just covers up the mechanicals which cause the up and down slide action of the triangle of metal that spans the tunnel. You can see the slotted holes in the triangle piece. Down for trick, up for everything else. ICBW.

EDIT- maybe down is for slalom. I'd have to see the back of one that didn't have the HG option installed- I think they just have a plate which is statically mounted to cover the tunnel.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 5:54pm
I thought for slalom the gate is down, and up for trick and jump.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2006 at 7:10pm
I believe that by slightly raising the stern, providing some lift, the resultant wake would be slightly smaller, but more importantly, softer, especially the rooster tail.

I wonder whether a perfectly horizontal wake tab mounted above a "V"-shaped spine would have an effect or if it would only create handling problems and oddities in the wake.

As much as I would love to buy a newer model I can't right now. The sport tab costs $500.00. I am still undecided but I appreciate everyone's posts.

Thanks, Bill

1987 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 7:26am
Originally posted by 1987SN2001 1987SN2001 wrote:

The hull on the newer boats is remarkably similar to the hull on my 1987.
One obvious difference is that on the newer boats there is a shallow tunnel at the stern instead of the deep spine in the 1987.

And they're both white and smooth? uncanny..

Originally posted by 1987SN2001 1987SN2001 wrote:

I am not an aquatic engineer but I suspect that the deep spine on my 1987 is responsible for the unforgiving rooster tail.

Don't quit your day job yet,
Excess weight and inferior prop are likely bigger variables than that hull's design regarding rooster tail. The rooster tail is exacerbated by higher velocity water exiting the prop, reduce that by lightening the boat and a low-slip prop, but also one that spreads that propwash over a wider area. Different props and brands can have acute affect, I've seen the propwash change from 4' wide at the crest, and very low, to 1' wide and unacceptably high (a 4-blade acme, btw).

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 7:58am
The narrow beam of the 2001 is probably also a contributor. The two hull generations after the 2001 also had the "deep spine" (which is referred to as a padded keel) as well. The tunnel in the padded keel wasn't added until the TSC2 hull in 2002. I'm no engineer either, but I've heard the keel design actually generates lift in leiu of any strakes on the older hulls.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 8:33am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

The narrow beam of the 2001 is probably also a contributor. The two hull generations after the 2001 also had the "deep spine" (which is referred to as a padded keel) as well. The tunnel in the padded keel wasn't added until the TSC2 hull in 2002. I'm no engineer either, but I've heard the keel design actually generates lift in leiu of any strakes on the older hulls.

I agree. If you take a look at any CC hull from the 2001 on, they share many of the same cues. I think the biggest factor on the 2001's larger wake is the narrower beam.

I agree with Hollywood on the hydrogate- down for slalom, up for trick and jump. With the hydrogate in the up position, the trick wake and table are said to improve, and the boat is supposed to have a little more top end speed.

On the 2002-2005 196 (TSC2), there is a fibergla$$ lip at the end of the tunnel. The hydrogate in the down position should have a similar effect. I think this feature really knocks down the rooster tail- its noticeably smaller and "washier" on the TSC2 vs the TSC1 boats.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 8:10pm
Thanks GottaSki, I was about to grab a chain saw and cut the padded keel out of the bottom of the boat, slap on some fibergla$$, and make it shiny and smooth like the new boats.

I guess I set myself up for that one. Won't ever do it again.
MCMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 9:40pm
Why don't you just sell that dinosaur and buy a Master Craft. The wake is nicer and so are the owners.            
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2006 at 10:06pm
MCman:
apparently there is nothing going on at the mc forums? Glad to have you join us. We're actually pretty nice (um...with a few notable exceptions--you know who you are!). Geez, I can't imagine ever surfing to a MC site...why would I do that? Someone explain why I would ever do that. Would I do that if this site totally sucked? I can't see it.

seriously, welcome mcman.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 10:40am
Originally posted by MCMan MCMan wrote:

Why don't you just sell that dinosaur and buy a Master Craft. The wake is nicer and so are the owners.            

why buy a piece off sh*t MC that doesn't hold it's value, has a thinner hull and a bunch of jack a$$' for owners, beat the sh*t out of me why someonee would be so stupid. But then again they did pay an extra 10K to own that MasterCrap new and it's now 10K less than a same year CC, doesn't make a lot of since to me.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 11:23am
"Bored" prehaps ???????
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 7:39pm
Dave it goes back to the old... more money than brains.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic