Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Temperature sender crush washer?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temperature sender crush washer?
    Posted: February-10-2024 at 3:32pm
I recently replaced the temperature gauge in my boat with a Vetus unit (Vetus is readily available here in South Africa, reasonably priced, and looks to be decent quality). After some testing, I concluded that the original temperature sender and the Vetus gauge are mismatched in terms of resistance range, so I'm replacing the sender with a matching Vetus one.

The Vetus sender has an interesting design, with a pronounced beveled shoulder between the threaded section of the sender and the hex section above the threads.

The threads are M14 x1.5 (i.e. parallel), which will typically require a crush washer to seal properly (and an adapter to fit into NPT female threads in the coolant passages). However, the sender did not ship with a crush washer, and I haven't seen a crush washer mentioned or shown in any catalogue or installation instructions. This makes me think that the bevel is designed so as to seal against the mounting surface without the use of a crush washer. Vetus customer care hasn't been helpful so far. Any thoughts as to whether I can get away without a crush washer? Probably no harm in using one, but it will feel like I'm doing the Vetus engineers an injustice if I use a crush washer for a part that doesn't need it!
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2024 at 5:59pm
Here's a link to a VDO  temperature sensor with the same threads and the same or similar taper and it uses a washer The link is just to show a couple  pictures of the washer and sensor.

I suppose that when you screw the sending unit into the adapter you'll be able to see if it needs a washer, but assuming that you do, it should be relatively easy to find a washer.

Quite a few oil drain plugs are 14 mm and one of those washers would work. Probably easily available locally for you.

It could be metal or fiber/plastic

No injustice involved Wink
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2024 at 11:17am
I agree with using a washer.  If when you screw in the sender with washer and it gets snug and the washer still isn't pinched you'll know the taper is supposed to be the seal, but my guess is you'll snug up against the washer for your seal.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2024 at 3:12pm
Thanks gents. A washer it will be then.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic