Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Distributor issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Distributor issues
    Posted: February-22-2024 at 5:18pm
I've replaced my 1997 SN GT40 distributor 3 times since new. OEM disty ran some 20 years before the Hall Effect sensor became wobbly and ceased to function. Stock, reman 351 unit replaced it from the local auto parts store. That ran 5+ years til the roll pin sheared. It was replaced last Sept with another parts store unit. The roll pin on that one just broke after 2-3 months of use. 

Would something else be causing these pins to break other than just crappy pins??

Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2024 at 8:26am
Sounds like a warm February vacation gone bad Wink

You can read all kinds of stuff about Ford roll pins breaking for all kinds of different reasons.

I imagine when you pulled things apart the gear and shaft might have been a loose fit.

Normally the gear is a light press fit on that distributor and the roll pin helps to hold it in place with the press fit doing a lot of the work.

Being a reman distributor, you never know what you had for a fit or if the gear was installed at the right height when it was assembled..

As a start I'd probably just get another distributor and install it or if you're feeling adventurous drive the roll pin out of the new one and verify that the gear won't slide off by hand and then if you're feeling more adventurous............drill out the gear and shaft for a 3/16 roll pin.

The original is 1/8 inch X 3/4 long, so replace it with a 3/16X 3/4 long pin.

Try not to think about things like oil pump problems causing the pin to break.Confused

But....you could verify that the oil pump rotates with a primer tool or a 5/16 socket and a long extension  Tape the socket to the extension so you don't lose it in the sump if you go the extension route.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2024 at 12:41pm
... not terribly bad, a quick trip to Ace Hardware and the boat is running again.. Of course, my wife got her slalom run in before it broke so all is well... 

The gear went back on without a press, but it was tight enough that I had to lightly tap it on the last inch or so... It's possible that it was a "light press fit" as you mentioned...

I didn't try spinning the oil pump shaft by hand, but that does make sense. If that little gear is intended to drive a pump that spins easily and now it's not so easy, what's a little 1/8 roll pin gonna think... 

Got a feel for how hard or easy that pump should be to spin? Should just an extension twisted by hand do it? Or should a ratchet be needed?

thanks,

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2024 at 12:48pm
Lightly tapping it the last inch or so is good, the lower part of the shaft is a smaller diameter that the area where the gear rides.

I'd put a ratchet handle on the extension. If it's hard to turn, you'd know it right away.

Tell yourself it was a bad roll pin, unless it happens again. Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2024 at 2:30pm
Since I had a partially assembled or disassembled engine in the garage, I figured I'd see how easy it was to turn the oil pump

Turning the oil pump with a 1/4 inch drive socket set with a screwdriver type handle, an extension and a taped on 5/16 socket like in the picture below was easy.

I let the Fram oil filter photobomb the picture because  ...........well, just because Wink
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2024 at 5:19pm
Yikes Keno!  A Fram filter sighting?  A former member would not approve!!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2024 at 10:46pm
I think I'll use your "assume it was a bad pin" idea for now. Afterall, I am certainly not changing an oil pump here in FL and shudder at the idea even in my own garage... Once I'm back up north, I'll pull the disty and try to spin the pump then report back...

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2024 at 8:25am
I think your oil pump is just fine, but if you check it,  that's how easy it turns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2024 at 12:32pm
Thanks for all the help! Got in a few more runs this AM. So far so good. Head to Lake Norman on the 1st. I don't think the water will be quite as warm there....Cool

1964 American Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic