Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aluminum hull repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum hull repair
    Posted: March-21-2024 at 2:46pm
I was bequeathed a 14’ aluminum Jon boat that sat uncovered and neglected for quite some time. I could tell it had soaked foam so I started popping rivets to remove panels, said foam and discover what other issues might lie unseen. I found extensive corrosion and perforating pin holes from stem to stern. Mostly below the waterline of course. I haven’t removed any ribs yet as I’m not certain the hull is salvageable with what I can see, let alone what might be hidden under the ribs.
A friend suggested that once properly cleaned and prepped, 5200, applied then spread like dry wall mud might suffice to cover the pitting and fill any perforations. I found 3M also makes a “Marine Premium Filler” that is labeled for use on aluminum and it appears to me that maybe that would be a better solution than the 5200.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone experienced with this issue or constructive thoughts/advice.
'96 Ski Nautique
'90 Boston Whaler Montauk
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2024 at 6:25am
I have plugged holes from transducer mounts in my meatloaf pan with 5200/4200 before and even 3000 and have had good luck. as far as spreading over an area of porosity though...i dunno, all i know is that's gonna be a mess. 
I would try something like 3Ms body panel adhesive or similar (I use SEM its cheaper and works just the same) you do need the proprietary gun to dispense it though because it's a 2 part epoxy meant to bond to bare metals. Works great for plastics too like when you wife blows the mirrors off the side of her car.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic