Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

draining L+R

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jos1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jos1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: draining L+R
    Posted: November-05-2006 at 9:27am
Hello I have a question about draining water for the winter. i have 2 boats.
Have a 351W-L 1991 and have a 351W-R 1974. Engine on the leftside has a small rear-lower plug to drain the left cilinderbank.
Engin on the right has a front-upper plug, so what about the lower side of the left bank.
I tapped the 1991 plug came out easy.
The 1974 has toast plugs, so i removed the left freezecap first and drained the block, so the block should be empty. Decided also to take out the right lower freezecap, to my suprise i think a full gallon came out.
So wenn you pull a normal drain procedure only the hex plugs a gallon stays in the block.

Is my a$$ume right or am i missing some steps?
jos
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 9:51am
on v-8's there are always 4 important plugs, one on each side of the lower block towards the back and one on each manifold if you drain these you get most of the water out, if no water comes out, poke something in there to clear the sediment. during winterization season if im loaded with boats i go out and hit those four plugs and never ever have a problem with any of them. if for some reason you have a problem with freezing at least you wont have to pull the engine or replace any high dollar items.
....of coarse drain all plugs you see and then antifreeze the engine
"the things you own will start to own you"
jos1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jos1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 12:06pm
Missing the second plug.
On the lower block the leftside is clear, its a hex plug about 1/4".
On the right side behind the starter, there is a similar thread hole, can look in to it about 1" deep, but dont see the hex to turn it out.
Its the same on both engines.
Am i missing somthing there?
jos
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 7:09pm
i believe you are missing it, there has to be drains on each side of that block, it will be npt national pipe thread i believe it is 1/4 npt
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 10:02am
the drain on the block for the left side/pa$$enger side is towards the rear of the block. On the otherside/drivers it is towards the front of the block, they are not located in the same postions on each side of the block.
jos1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jos1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 11:03am
OK
I a$$ume the drivers side of the engine will not be fully drained, because this plug is 10 inches higher when compared to the lower plug, drivers side cilinderhead will be drained but not the lowerpart of the cilinderbank.
As far as i experienced the left and right of the engine is only cross-connected over the inlet manifold.

jos
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 4:12pm
to help drain the drivers side just drop the tongue of the trailer as low as possible so that it makes contact with the ground flip up the wheel/jack if needed. You can also get a bra$$ fitting and a piece of hose and suck it on that side. If you going back with car anti-freeze it's realy not an issue.
jos1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jos1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 4:51pm
Thanks
Understandng a bit more of the hidden
Jos
jos
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic