Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transducer location

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transducer location
    Posted: May-10-2024 at 12:18am
My question is where has someone successfully located a through the hull glue in transducer.
The instructions state that this is the least desirable way to mount a transducer.
But I do not want to run one down the back or cut a hole.
Again, I refer back to my previous boat, which had a depth finder/fishfinder that seem to work perfectly well.
I do not recall where the transducer was, But I know there was not a hole in the hull or a cord down the back.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2024 at 6:21am
I have a garmin GT8HW-IH in hull Tx that i mounted at same location as my raw water intake but opposite side of the keel and i have never had an issue. just like most setups it doesn't really pick up at any higher speed though. You would be hard pressed to get any type of Tx to work at speeds on planing hulls like these. 
I just stuck mine to the hull in a bed of silicone because i wasn't sure how long i would use it for but it worked and i never removed it. The important part is to make sure whatever you use as a glue, it is acting as a couplant between the Tx and hull and should not have air bubbles. Air will attenuate the signal making it weak and will not work as well.
it wants clean water, so avoid putting it right next to or behind the RW intake, rudder or wheel.

1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2024 at 8:49am
In my 1994, I mounted a glue-in transducer inside the bilge on the starboard side near the shaft log.  I glued the transducer fairly close to the vertical bilge wall.  The brand was Hawkeye.  Performed well.  Can’t recall if I used silicone or epoxy.  In the dash, I removed the clock and mounted the depth gauge read-out in its place.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2024 at 10:23am

Same position as the raw water intake is on starboard side of keel. Try to pick a place that is pretty much horizontal inside the bilge area. I duct tape mine down first and did a test run on the water to make sure it was a good location and working properly.  The transducer needs to be flat and close as possible to the hull when epoxy down. So, make sure all air bubbles are pressed out when attaching. Same location on the dash as with Mr. Quest. 

DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2024 at 5:23am
Thanks for your input.
I’m going to two part epoxy it as per suggested. It’s a Hawkeye. (can’t find slow cure as they suggest in the instructions)
I’m very appreciative of the help i have received.

I just read “it’s been a long time”
Sorry for that situation.
I thought the forum was pretty cool now!!!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2024 at 9:56am
Den Den

Do your instructions mention anything about testing the mounting location before gluing it down?

Maybe with the transducer in a plastic bag with water in it so you can move it around in the bilge to verify that your location works or move the bag setup to another location.

Then you can stick it in place with your choice of "stuff"

You didn't mention what model you have, but see page 7 of the link "testing for selected location" for some "typical" Hawkeye instructions 

It works for testing most any in hull mounted transducer before the glue job Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic