Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does nibral mean?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does nibral mean?
    Posted: November-18-2006 at 9:15pm
I'm shopping for a new prop and I think I'm going with the Acme 540. I'm new to most of this and keep seeing this word nibral. What does it mean?
Work to live, not live to work.

hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2006 at 9:29pm
Gabe, it is short for the composition of the material the prop is made of, in this case, Nickel, Bronze and Aluminum. I just put the 540 on my 80' Nautique, switching from a 4 blade OJ and I am thoroughly impressed. Great shot out of the hole. You should be able to pick up a new 540 for about $300, just double check to make sure it's the proper application for a Tique.

Heath
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2006 at 9:33pm
Bill weeks from Acme says it will work great. I understand that if it's too close to the hull Acme will shave a little off. Where did you find the 540 for $300? Acme says $404 and discount marine has $365.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2006 at 10:09pm
Gabe, I'm not real big on the shaved down prop. Priot to purchasing, we borrowed an unmodified 540 for testing from our local Nautique dealer to replace a 12x14 like you have. It was indeed too large and close to the hull, about 1/4", and vibrated thru the hull terribly, but the RPMs were just where they should have been. I talked to Mr Weeks who suggested they just cut it down about an inch. When I asked if this wouldn't change/raise the RPM somewhat, I was told it shouldn't make much difference. Well it did on my boat pushing it past its RPM limit plus slowing the boat down. The prop now sees duty on a lesser HP engine where it appears to do fine, but is currently sitting on the shelf. While I really don't won't to sell it, if you like, I will gladly stick this prop in box and send it to you to try if you're somewhere in a warm enough climate to test it out. I'm still bigger on a 12x13 OJ in place of the stock 12x14 Fed/Mich for your boat in terms of speed and pull combined. But many boats perform differently so you never know, so please try mine on another before you buy the "cut down" one and then can't return it. With the trim job, I paid +/- $370.00, with the cut adding $30 or so, I can't remember for sure.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2006 at 10:25pm
reidp,
I would love to try you prop, but it's about 15 degrees out right now. I probably won't have the boat in the water till spring. I'm shopping right now because I'm self employed and I make $$$ in the winter. Usually spend too much time playing in the summer to make any money to buy props with.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably try the untrimmed 540 and if I have problems return it.

Do you have more details on that OJ prop you like? Model numer or some way of recognizing it on the web. The only dealer in my area wants $500-600 for any prop.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 8:33am
Sorry about that 15* weather thing, but if it's making you money........
Check the OJ site below if you haven't already.
http://www.ojprops.com/site/legend.htm
The prop in question is the Legend three blade. You can call them and most likely you'll speak with Eric Johnson who is 4th gen mgmt. I mentioned the 12x13 in place of your 12x14 as a more direct replacement because the OJ has more positive rake (blade angle sloping aft) which results in more blade ares within a given diameter. I first tried the 12x14 OJ and my RPMs dropped while speed stayed about the same and scratched my head until I read up on it, and then I installed the 12x13 with nicer results. This rake tends to lift the bow. I recommend that everyone except Bill Burgess SS-201 do a Google search on "Propeller Rake" which will show you a whole glossary of prop terms and definitions in addition to rake. The Acme's don't have a lot much rake to speak of but tons of blade area resulting in the typically noticable gain in holeshot and super deceleration as well. Because of intended design I don't think the modern boats have much option for lifting the bow and speeding the boat up so maybe that's why they tend to perform well with the Amce's in comparison to an OJ. I've heard of several older boats running well with them also, but I still prefer the OJ on my vintage boats.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 8:47am
I ran an OJ 4 blade on my 87 SN with great results all around...that is until striking a rock. Now it is a candlestick holder on our back porch. I put on an OJ 3 blade (unmodified). The hole-shot was weaker and the prop wash was horrible, RPM's were in range. Dug out the origional (rebuilt several times) Michigan Wheel 3 blade. The hole shot is weaker again, but the prop wash is dispersed well and it lifts the stern slightly, and RPM's are in range. The smart guy from Delta Propeller recommends the ACME 540. On this forum I have seen plenty of positive reviews of the ACME 540 with a handful of comments that it is too large. Personally, I am buying the 540 for next season. ($325.00 w/free ground shipping from Delta Propeller)
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 11:47am
Skibum, the comments about the 540 being to large in diameter are from members who have tried it on older 16' boats. It will work great on your 2001. There is a discount code that you can use that will give you 5% off your prop from delta.
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2006 at 12:54pm
Gabe,

I did get my 540 from Delta Propeller... they may have gone up a couple of bucks, but make sure you tell them you are a CCF site member and saw their ad on this site to get the discount. I think they are out of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, somewhere up there. I ordered it on a Monday afternoon and had it Thursday morning, living in Orlando. They were very helpful.
Heath
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic