NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

platform brackets

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: platform brackets
    Posted: December-12-2006 at 7:59pm
Now that I'm tearing out the old foam I've been thinking about reinstalling the platform brackets.The lag bolts get lose and leak.The outboard bracket nuts will be hidden under the floor, the inboard nuts are behind the gas tank. So I guess I'll tig some stainless nuts to a peice of S/S sheetmetal and mount them to the inside of the transome. What do you guys think?
                             Thanks W/D
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 12:32pm
Should work fine, you could get about the same result w/ a ss plate or large fender washers and nylocks.
bbrech1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrech1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 12:54pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 1:51pm
Ahh, the good 'ole days when 79 was in his prime.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 6:25pm
bbrech1 - Where's 79 , I miss 79. That thread was something else, but does affirm my nut plate idea. I want to be able to remove the platform as easy as possible.
                          thank's w/d
bbrech1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrech1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 7:50pm
I screwed the backing plates to the inside of the transom so they do not move. This allowes me to remove the platform brackets in about 5 minutes without worring about the backing plate moving. I just take the 8 bolts out and the platform is off.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 8:31pm
Are you using the Alloy Marine brackets? Pull the 2 pins and platform slides up and off. They're pricy but if you are going to be removing it on a regular basis....more than worth the initial expense.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 9:59am
I have looked at the quick release brackets. Does the platform "rattle" on the boat & is Alloy Marine the manufacturer? They seam like the ticket for winter storage and long hauls on the trailor.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 10:07am
Hey Doggie,

Have had the factory removable brackets on 3 of my CC's, teak and composite platforms, they fit very snug and have never noticed any rattle. If you anticipate removing the platform on a regular basis they are great.

jdreiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdreiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 4:22pm
I put the Alloy Marine brackets on my 1981 SN and they have worked well for over two seasons now.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 9:26am
The Marine Alloy brackets do NOT rattle. The welded nut to plate idea is fine. If you go this route, gla$$ the plate to the inside of the transom after the brackets are installed and adjusted properly.
jdreiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdreiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 9:55am
I need some advice on this issue. As noted above, I installed the Alloy brackets 2-3 years ago using the same hardware that the original brackets used (lag screws and sealant). It has worked fine, but at the end of the year, I noticed one of the lag screw on the starboard side is not grabbing. Since I was doing some other maintenance that required pulling the gas tank, I figured this would be an excellent time to go to the metal plate, SS lag bolts methods. I have obtained a 1/4 inch alum plate that I have cut to 4x12" that I plan on gla$$ing to the transom. My question involves the last issue - I have never used resins/expoxies, etc. and the 4x12" area is solid but not completely even (where the bolts go through is slightly thicker than the rest of the area that would be covered by the plate). Before I gla$$ the plate to the transom, I want to smooth and even that area with fibergla$$. I have looked at West products, but don't know if I should use cloth or just resin with filler? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 10:13am
I would use the thickened resin. DavidF made the recommendation to me when I did my floor- when I was done with all the gla$$ work, I mixed a large batch of resin/talc powder and hit all the low areas with a putty knife. Just make it the consistency of peanut butter.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 11:05am
jdreiser
Are you still using the lag bolts with backing plates ? I'm changing to nut plates because when the lag bolts loosened-up the foam under the floor got soaked.
jdreiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdreiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 11:22am
I was going to have the nuts welded to the plate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic