Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pre-56 windshield frames

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cptn Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cptn Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-56 windshield frames
    Posted: January-13-2007 at 1:26pm
I am looking for a set of (3-pieces)windshield frames as used on the pre-1956 CC's. If you have a set or know where I might find them please send a reply to this forum.

Thanks, Cptn Rich
Cptn Rich
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 7:20am
Cptn, I ended up having to make the ones I needed for my 54. I started with known measurments and a set of bronze castings. Cut them up, shortened, made new bra$$ gussets, Tig welded everything back together, ground, polished and sent them off to the plater. I think I got the castings fom Peter Henkel Marine. I can't find a # for it so do a search for it. His son now runs the buisiness. This is of coarse is if you are looking for the flat gla$$ bracket type as CC used many styles. What are they for?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cptn Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cptn Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 11:46am
54 Atom,

Thanks very much for the response. My boat is a dual cockpit model with seating fore and aft and I do have one set of frames for the front that I could use to for sand casting. I've done this before for another project but thought I would try to purchase them before going this route.

Capn Rich

Cptn Rich
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 12:29pm
Cptn, Did the boat originaly come with a aft windshield?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cptn Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cptn Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2007 at 6:33pm
54 Atom

I believe it did but it's hard to know for sure. I can see screw holes where the aft windshield would have been and when I got the boat from the previous owner, he gave me a set of frames that he had removed. However, they do not match the ones on the front. In fact, they are bare aluminum not chromed bronze.
With so little information available on the boat I don't know for sure if there was a rear windshield originally or if someone added one after the fact.

Cptn Rich
Cptn Rich
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 9:23am
Cptn, I did look in the Ref. section and couldn't spot any CC's dual cockpits with 2 windshields. I also checked Speltz's CC section and found nothing. The extra brackets the previous owner of the boat gave you may have been the CC originals. It looks like your boat has gone though a restoation with some non factory "up grades". The covering boards are rounded and the chrome windshield brackets on the boat don't match the gla$$. All the boat manufacturers purchased the hardware but these brackets look like the ones Century used. It's hard to say though because of the lack of info.

What engine is in it? It does look great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 10:41am
Cptn, I keep looking at the pictures you've posted and am wondering is it a Correct Craft?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cptn Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cptn Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 10:06pm
54 ATOM

The engine has been replaced at least three times, the original was a Flat-6 which was swaped out for a Cadillac-8 then a Chev-283 and the current power is a Chev-350 Vortec. I have been trying to positively identify the boat since I bought it 5-years ago. The title says 1942 Higgins but to date this is unconfirmed. The windshield brackets seem to match those used on early CC's. See the attached photo from the CC Diaries. I just got off the phone with the president of the Higgins Boat Club not 5-minutes ago and he is going to have a consultation with another Higgins guru and call me back tomorrow. He now thinks it could be either a "Neptune" or "Wonder Boat", both Higgins special order boats.
Cptn Rich
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 11:03am
Cptn,

http://www.cla$$icboating.com/Windshield_brackets

You will find the winshield bracket here. The rough (very rough) castings are about $480.00 These are from A&A Marine and they are the people who bought out the old Century boat.

Cptn, I just tried to copy and paste the above and had problems. You can get to it by going to centuryboatclub.com and then use the link to A&A on the right side of their main page.

Someones got to send me to computer school!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cptn Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cptn Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 4:17pm
54 ATOM,
I went to the A&A WEB site and found the brackets. Thanks very much for the information. Once I hear back from the president of the Higgins Boat Club I will post the results here.

Cptn Rich
Cptn Rich
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 10:44pm
Pete Copy and paste wont work because of the $$ signs in cla$$icboating

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 7:21am
Pat, That's interesting about the $$ signs and not SS's. I have noticed that before. Why do they come up when SS's are typed in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 7:36am
Cptn, I was able to copy and paste the overall photo of your boat and forward it to one of our Guru's in the Blackhawk chapter of the ACBS. I'll post the results. I really don't think it's a Higgins since I have never heard of them building a planked boat. It could be a one of a kind. We in the ACBS have been seeing alot of them pop up in recent years as the supply of restorable boats dwindle. Most of the old boats are in the hands of boat brokers now and most of the "reasonable" priced ones are "Grays". A Gray boat is one that has been out in the field unprotected so long that its color is gray. They are basicly being used as pattern boats to remake a new boat with new wood. Are you a ACBS member? If not, you should consider it since it is a great organization plus a valuabe resorse for finding parts and info.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cptn Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cptn Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 9:16am
54 ATOM
Yes, I have been an ACBS member for roughly six years and both members and non-members have told I that my boat could not be a Higgins because they did not make a planked boat. However, I know from seeing one with my own eyes that they did as we have a planked, Higgins PT boat berthed here in Portland. Furthermore, if the president of the Higgins Boat Club and Higgins owner says that Higgins did make planked pleasure craft I will not dispute it.
PS
Just because I have never seen the Alps doesn't mean that they don't exist!
Cptn Rich
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 9:56am
Cptn, I'll go along with what the pres. of the Higgins boat club says. I, like many other people have not heard of nor seen a planked boat produced by the Higgins boat co. I'm now as interested in the outcome as you probably are. I hope someone can solve the mystery.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 1:36pm
Hey Cptn Rich, Any word yet from the Pres. of the Higgins boat club? I'm interested in what he has to say. No word from my end as far as someone positively identifing your boat. The input is only that it is a one-of-a-kind and or a reproduction. I looked for you in the current and past ACBS directorys for some contact information but can't find you listed. The feed back I got on the PT boat that you refered to is that someone planked it after the war. It did not come from Higgins that way. Hope you get this, Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cptn Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cptn Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 9:13pm
Pete,

I have heard nothing yet and have left several messages for the Pres. He may have had to take it to higher authority.

I don't have a 2007 directory yet but we should be in it. My wife didn't pay our dues for 2006 and we were omitted from that issue. I have a 2004 directory on my desk and we are listed on page 157 of that one. Don't know where my 2006 is.

As for the feedback on the PT boat...the person providing feedback may want to vist the save the PT Boat WEB Site at http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/
which is the official web site for Higgins, PT boat 658 and documents its' restoration back to original factory specs. There are also several other sites on the internet which have period photos of Higgins as well as other PT boats such as Huckins and Elco which were not planked.

Cptn Rich
Cptn Rich
Cptn Rich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cptn Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2007 at 9:28pm
Pete,

I just ran across this photo of the restoration of PT 658...If those aren't planks I'll eat my boots!

Cptn Rich
Cptn Rich
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic