NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ford big block

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ford big block
    Posted: January-22-2007 at 7:08pm
I noticed that the ford 460 BB is a rare motor to find in a CC. 454's are all over in the barefooters. I just wonder why CC never used a 351 BB. It's now where near as heavy and it is able to produce the same amount of power.

Although the 460 trans pattern and the 351 trans pattern are the same, would it be possible to take a 460 marine trans mate it to a 351/400 M and install it in a CC?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 8:06pm
I've only seen one 460 in a CC and it was an OMC in a BFN. If you were talking about the 351/400 "M-modified" in terms of the BB question, there was never a market or thus an OEM marine engine company out there selling them for CC to buy from. But there's nothing stopping anyone from dropping a 460 in one however and those are out there. I'm still in the 2-year process of having a 428 Ford BB a$$embled for a 68 CC SN, which is a whole other ballgame from the 460 family. With a BB you generally need to move up to the heavier-duty 72 series BW Velvet Drive trans, as opposed to the 71 series. The 429 is a sister to the 460 and has always been a favorite of mine with deep racing roots, and before I die.........       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 8:08pm
come to think of it Ive never seen a 460 in a boat from the factory (any boat) Chris craft used alot of ford 427's in the earlier days
really never seen alot of 351's in boats except for CC's
seen alot of chevys and mopars in boats
This ones a mystery but im sure someone has the answer
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 8:32pm
460s were found in a lot of jet boats over the years, and probably their most prominent home. A handful of Donzi's sported them during the span that OMC owned the company. A good chunk of the OMC King Cobra outdrives were attached to 460s in a number of hulls in the late 80s to early 90s, and again esp those other boat companies owned by OMC such as FourWinns.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

nautiquefanatic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2007 at 9:52pm
reidp..........my good friend hasbeenskier on this board recently discovered a 79 Barefoot with an original 460 Ford in it. It is red and white.... He may end up with it in his collection.

pc
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 7:37am
You always would see the oddballs in the jet boats from memory i remember the 455cui in the jets, In the days when I didnt know any better I did a repower and ended up with 2 427 side oilers, I think i ended up getting $500.00 for the pair, they came with the transmissions and thats what i was interested in.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 4:55pm
I know a guy that had a 79 BFN with a 460 in it but it was green. I was just wondering, because I have a 79 F-150 4X4 and it has a built 400M in it. Running pretty close I would say to 450HP. Now with it being lighter then the 460/429, which I live very very much. WE have a built 460 in our 79 F-250 4X4. At any rate just thought it would be a cool project some day, when I have nothing to do. Which is not time soon.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 8:49pm
Lots of 455 Olds were indeed also in jets like you said Eric. I'm sorry to hear about the 427 deal. You could have almost retired off them these days based off what people are asking anyone. Just a little background info on the 427s FWIW, if you do find a good running 300HP 427 which comprised probably 90% of marine 427s, you'll be spending an awful lot of money on it to get the good power that most sellers think is automatically there. All the value resides only in the block and crank as they used garden variety FE 352-390 heads, low comp pistons, and low 4000 rpm cam, which all resulted in a reliable long-life torque engine as intended for powering big cruiser, but won't outrun a GT-40. They ended up in plently of smaller Chris Craft and Century runabouts and even as an option in some bigger CC's. Now if you can find the 330-400 HP marine engines then you're really onto a keeper and they were offered in most of these runabouts as well, just hardly ever seen. The common in it's day 426-290HP Chrysler marine wedge wasn't much different, but they sold it in up to rare 415HP+/- non-Hemi versions. Sorry for the tangent.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 9:14pm
I know a guy who had a 427 side oiler (a real cobra motor) in a cobra kit car. He sold the 427 and got more for the motor than the car.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 7:40am
there still are a few around, alot of the Chris Craft roamers use them, ran accross quite a few, like you said 8.5: 1 compression maybe... I rebuilt one for a guy 2 summers ago, just from what i remember adjustable valves, 300 hp, heavy as hell and had to go through a 24" salon door to get her in, good running engine i must say.It was definitly a work horse
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 10:20am
My 455 olds, 350 HP, mid 70s Taylor SS jet. ok boat but I didn't have the mechanical where-with-all to keep it running. Very fussy.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 3:58pm
I remember about ten years ago my family used to vacation at Higgins Lake in Michigan. There were two guys that met up there every year they both had jet boats. One was blue with a built 428 CJ motor the other brown with a built 502 chevy BB. They raced every year, and every summer the guy with the brown would lose and he would ad something new to it for next year. Finally they quit racing because for some reason that 502 just couldn't beat that 428 CJ. The 428 was all motor no bottle and no charger, neither turbo or super. But it was great fun watching them race. Water would usually be like gla$$ and they go tear it up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 5:32pm
He must of had 3 or 4 bad cylinders on that 502   lol   eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2007 at 9:14pm
no such luck for him, but speaking of bad. Something broke on the chevy every year trying to catch that ford. Which was a shame because they were both fantastic boats. The guys that owned them were very friendly. Hate to see anyone break their boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic