Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Manifolds
    Posted: January-26-2007 at 11:41am
Manifold replacement:

I am about to reinstall my Exhaust Manifolds and noticed that the faces that contact the gaskets are rough and pitted. Should this be smooth ? Has anyone ever had them refaced or will a new gasket with proper torque seal them good enough. They are original manifolds on my 1982 SN and motor cools fine.

Thanks for any ideas
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 11:54am
I remember the exhaust manifolds on my '79 being pretty smooth.

If the pits aren't too deep a new gasket may seal them. If there are a lot of them and they're deep you might have a problem.

Manifolds are easy enough to take off. I'd try to clean the surfaces up with a file (knock the loose stuff off), slap on some new gaskets and see what happens.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 3:56pm
Take them to a machine shop and tell them to take a mill. off.
Tim D
Morto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 8:13pm
Our guy here advised muffler putty, our problem was the mating surface on the heads were corroded due bad riser gaskets (previous owner etc). We built it up just like filler, in theory when they get hot the stuff bakes hard. Our engine only has about 15 hours on it but so far so good. To be honest though a manifold should be straightforward to mill/surface grind flat
'82 Ski Tique PCM351W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 10:34am
I had a machine shop mill off and clean up the surface's . They now Looks great and it only cost me $20.00 total.

New question... What should the socket head cap screws be torqued to? I do not want leaks or to break off any bolts. I used never seaze and have them just snugged up now.

Thanks
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 9:58am
3/8 bolts?   37 to 42 ft lbs
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 5:02pm
Eric,

Yes they are 3/8" Socket head cap screws

Thanks
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic