NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wakeboard pole video support

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wakeboard pole video support
    Posted: February-20-2007 at 9:28pm
During the cold winter months I got bored and made a poor mans video camera support for my wakeboard pole.
This is the plan I drew up.

I used 1" x1/8" flat stock and a coat hanger.
Finished product

It sits nicely on the pole and allows the rope to pa$$ easily.
If you would like more info on construction let me know
CCrider89
Boating in the northern Adirondacks
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 9:36pm
I need 300 of them by Friday.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 10:14pm
CCrider. That looks pretty good. A good friend of mine owns Ski Pro accessories and manufactures the Trakker brand of video camera mounts. I was driving the boat the day he tested the first prototype almost 20 years ago now. That thing was ugly. A modified camera tripod and and a wire coat hanger. Yours looks much like his second or third generation mount. I still have one in my garage.

He's been through about 50 upgrades to get to where he is now. The interesting part is that he spent 15 years trying to figure out how to make these things work well at lower cost. A couple of years ago he was looking at all the wakeboard accessories and realized people want bling. He beefed them up, chromed them out, and business has really grown since then. Check out his site: Tracker video mounts BKH
Livin' the Dream

CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 10:31pm
bkh as I said "poor mans". I checked out the website, lots of nice "boat bling" but my $5.00 worth of metal pa$$es my time in the winter and I save money for gas in the summer.
CC
CCrider89
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 10:38pm
CC, not trying to turn you away from your project. Quite the contrary. It appears you're a tinkerer/project guy, in which case, I'm sure, you'll be looking for ways to improve your setup. As I said, yours looks very close to Bryan's second or third generation. Thought you might get some ideas from his current website.
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 8:34am
Looks pretty good are you using a bearing inbetween the pivot point and metal legs? Also might have to beef up the guide a little, depends on the weight of the camera I guess, and they're pretty small nowadays so you might be ok. Let us know how it works out.

Good job, nice and clean.
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 5:23pm
The pivot point is a 1/2" bolt with a 7/16" washer drilled out to 1/2". I used a lock nut to ensure play at the pivot with a light grease between everything. The pivot point is directly under the center of gravity of my camera, therefore, there is no stress towards the front or the back of the support. I found the center of gravity by resting the camera on a pencil on a desk and then measuring to the scew hole on the camera for the mounting point.
CCrider89
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 6:58pm
do you think it will work on an older pylon with a ring?
Life is Good.
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 10:01pm
Since the ring which goes around the pylon is not a complete ring but is split and has a bolt to tighten it around the pylon, it should be able to be spread a bit to pa$$ over the ring.
This is the upside down image which shows the split in the ring.
CCrider89
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic