NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Side gapping and plug indexing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side gapping and plug indexing
    Posted: February-25-2007 at 2:53pm
I was curious if anyone here has much experience with side-gapping or indexing spark plugs. These techniques have been around for years, and seem to have legitimate claims of making a few hp by improving combustion efficiency. For those who are unfamiliar, here are a few articles explaining each:

Side Gapping

Plug Indexing

The consensus with the Mustang guys over on Corral.net seems to be that indexing "can't hurt and might help." Side-gapping also has its proponents, and the only side effect seems to be shortened plug life. Some say that trimming the ground strap back to the center of the electrode is nearly as effective as trimming to the edge, with better plug life.

I figure these are a few ways to gain a few extra hp for free. Anyone have any first hand experience?
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 8:28pm
I tried plug indexing on a kawasaki drag bike.
This would seem like a good test to me,found no effect on et or mph.Later on I had to index just to keep exhaust valve from interfering,that was a have to deal.

Just my experience and your right it can't hurt

Munday
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 8:46pm
I've done both. With indexing, those spacer washers allow the plugs to get loose after several hours. I think it ran better, might have been my imagination for all the effort. My brother in law was into go cart racing and on a small engine like those they could gain 1 horsepower from indexing.
Tim D
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:18am
Munday
I had a 1327 kaw drag bike ran pro gas (9.20)
prostar and et @ Atmome Al. That thing would hook 1.1 60 foot. FUN !!! I indexed the plugs cus I could ?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

With indexing, those spacer washers allow the plugs to get loose after several hours.

Im thinking it would probably be better to just keep trying different plugs to avoid using washers. I a$$ume you side-gapped the plugs on your boat at the same time you indexed them?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:28am
just get xp series or plattnum (sp) plugs and don't worry about the side gapping, because it's all ready done for the most part.

just be carefull you'll go through the plugs much quicker and will have to replace mid season.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:00pm
    I would think in a race application where every detail counts,it's worth it.I can't imagine you would notice a huge(or even noticeable)difference in your application Tim.I would take 79's advise and buy a real good set of plugs and wind em in.But then again,the winter is alot longer up here than it is where he's from,at least it would help pa$$ the time

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:19pm
What does "my imagination" mean up there?
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:58am
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

But then again,the winter is alot longer up here than it is where he's from,at least it would help pa$$ the time

Thats what Im thinking. The only downside is time- and we have plenty of that before the ice breaks. Im not too worried about the shortened plug life- theyre cheap and I change em every season anyways.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Munday
I had a 1327 kaw drag bike ran pro gas (9.20)
prostar and et @ Atmome Al. That thing would hook 1.1 60 foot. FUN !!! I indexed the plugs cus I could ?
jesus, i thought my 1.62's were fun
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic