NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some questions about perfect pa$$ install

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
straylight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some questions about perfect pa$$ install
    Posted: February-26-2007 at 5:03am
Hi all,

i installed a perfect pa$$ wb pro in my sn2001 on sunday. During install some things are nbot quite clear to me.

1.) Getting the rpm signal.

Which is the rpm-conector on the back of the rpm-gauge? The second from the left on the following picture?

2.) Throttle control is a _bit_ confusing.
I installed it as to be seen on the following pictures:

What really strike me is that i cannot go into WOT anymore, becaue the servo "cable" slides out as seen in last picture.

Any hints?

Regards,
Tom
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:46am
The gray wire would be your RPM signal. The purple is switched 12V power from the dash and the black is the ground. Normally a backlight for the gauge would be in that top hole there.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:57am
Hi,
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

The gray wire would be your RPM signal. The purple is switched 12V power from the dash and the black is the ground. Normally a backlight for the gauge would be in that top hole there.

okay, thanks. I've seen the light-hole as well an found the corresponding plug for it. The bulp is broken though and i haven't seen any mechanism to change it. Any hints on what kind of bulp belongs in there as well?

Regards,
Tom
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 1:41pm
My perfect pa$$ digital pro just arrived. While reading the instructions I see that it is very important that the throttle cable from the servo motor be aligned perfectly with the throttle cable for best performance.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 2:49pm
You may want to look at the servo cable connection at the carb, like Bum said proper alignment is important. I had some problems on my factory installed unit with high idle as a result of the decorative cover over my flame arrestor just barely touching the throttle cable.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 3:38pm
It takes a little while to get used to the operation of the perfect pa$$. First off the unit must be powered up, booted up and given a couple seconds to pull in the slack or you cant drive the boat correctly or even give it some advanced throttle to start it. Second, if you jam the throttle down hard you can overcome the strength of the servo and pull the string off it. Do this too many times and your going to need a new servo.

The servo should keep the throttle cable tight to the linkage at all times unless it is on and trying to control speed at which time it will let out some slack. Make sure it is off when your trying to get to full throttle. Until your getting it a good rpm signal I doubt your going to have too much success driving the boat.

I have a little metal U shaped clip in the boat with me that I can use to keep the throttle cable attached firmly to the linkage in case something fails on the perfect pa$$, I am sure you could accomplise the same effect with a knot tied in the rope going to the linkage but either way I would have a plan.

Its a little different way to drive but man its a sweet pull.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:17pm
Joey,
Is your PP installed in the 83?
Bill
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 12:23am
Yes it is on the 83, originally ordered it for the 67 before I bought the 83 so unfortunately it doesn't match the colors of the rest of the gauges, but let me tell ya if it only came in neon purple I would still install one. Nothing like telling one of the girls to slow it down to 18.5 for surface tricks and actually getting 18.5 and not 12 with an occasional burst of 28..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 2:20am
Hi,
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

My perfect pa$$ digital pro just arrived. While reading the instructions I see that it is very important that the throttle cable from the servo motor be aligned perfectly with the throttle cable for best performance.

Originally posted by PP-Manaul PP-Manaul wrote:

After final connection, check and adjust position of servo motor ensuring the motor box cover
closes properly and servo throttle cable is not in contact with any moving parts. Make sure
servo motor cable has 2 or 3 inches of free travel. Securely tighten hose clamps on servo motor.
(Do not “tie wrap” cable as it must be able to move freely). (Make sure the gold resistor and
wiring does not touch anything metal).

With the throttle in neutral position, adjust bra$$ hex connector if necessary to ensure there is no
gap between it and the end of the servo motor cable (any gap may cause engine to surge up and
down in neutral). Adjust and snugly tighten all parts.

Turn the black servo motor knob in a clockwise position until snug. With throttle in neutral, the
linkage should appear as in photo

It seems that i have to find a way to align the cables a little better. I cannot mount the servo motor lower to accomplish a better alignment; thus i have to use something to slighty lower the servo cable itself. Maybe some loosly mounted cable strap?

Until i put the boat into water in march i'll not test the installation. I am a little afraid of braking the servo motor from using it without power.

Regards,
Tom
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:46am
Perhaps you can just use some flat metal stock to make a bracket to hold the cable at a point several inches in forward of the throttle on the carb?
Bill
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:37am
I don't think your alignment is going to be a particular problem based on the pics. The cable needs to be able to move with the throttle cable so any strapping/cable tieing anywhere near the carb end will be a problem. It might be that you just dont have enough slack in the cable at this point to be able to get up to full throttle, in which case you need to move the actuator a little farther up on the hose you have it mounted to. With the boat powered off turn the knob on the actuator all the way clockwise and hold it tight while the significant other pushes the throttle forward, if she cant get to the wide open stop on the carb before she starts twisting the knob out of your hand then you need more slack in the cable.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:48am
Not sure how it will compare since my boat is FI but I can take a few pics of my factory setup tonight since I am due to climb in the boat and "crank er back and forth" a few times anyways.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:52am
Hi Joe,

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

With the boat powered off turn the knob on the actuator all the way clockwise and hold it tight while the significant other pushes the throttle forward, if she cant get to the wide open stop on the carb before she starts twisting the knob out of your hand then you need more slack in the cable.

Thanks. I am going to try this.
BTW, i don't think i have a problem at all. I just could not imagine how this whole things actually works
Now, knowing that the servo motor - once it is on power - holds the throttle cable really tight, i reckon that everything is alright with my installation.

Thanks to all,
Tom
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 11:49am
Tom,

As promised here are some pic's of the PP on my Excalibur Chevy 350 w/EFI. Boat was ordered with PP so I assume either CC or PCM installed all the components.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic