Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 351 PC

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 86 351 PC
    Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:47pm
We took my cousins new 86 SN with about 270 hrs for a cruise today. When we test drove the boat prior to purchase it ran fine, but if it matters it was about 30 degrees.

Today while ridding the boat ran pretty rough. WOT was strong and it ran smooth from what I could tell. At 3000 RPM's the engine sputtered like it had a bad plug, wire or such. Easing into the throttle, from about 2900 RPM's was rough. When it got to about 3100 RPM's it would take off to about 3900 RPM's. Once leveling off you could feel it missing again. It has new points, condensor (I think) plugs and wires which tells me that it probably had that issue before.
Is it possible the distributer could be going bad? I know my cousin said it had alot of oil in it (distributer) instead of the 3 drops recommended.
Let me also add he had drained most of the gas and put in premium. Any thoughts? d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 8:08pm
points suck, did the choke open up all of the way? there are a lot of things it could be just need to start at one place and start eliminating the possiblities. Cap, rotor, timing, dewel, then move to the carb, check the choke, filters, fuel line, vent check ball at the tank.

personelly I'm betting the choke is shot, since it was pretty cold and ran decent and now it's warmer running bad. Hook up a water supply run the motor with the arrestor off and then watch the choke and make sure it opens fully after about 1-2 minutes.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:32pm
Thanks 79, that gives us a starting point.

The choke makes sence, starting it has been difficult, or at least the 2 times I've been in the boat. It does seem to take a while to get warm enough to idle without it shutting off or choking down.
I guess we'll check it out again saturday and go from there. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic