NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marine plug wires, yes or no

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine plug wires, yes or no
    Posted: March-02-2007 at 10:45pm
do I have to run marine plug wires only??
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 11:15pm
As for the wires, I've run both and I can't tell a difference, but I dare not cast an opinion for fear of being slain. (just kidding, of course) West Marine sells a pretty yellow set that doesn't cost all that much.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 11:35pm
Buy the lowest ohms you can afford.
Tim D
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 11:48pm
I bought a set of 9mm ford racing wires, but Im not sure what ohms they are! they are street and strip car wires!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2007 at 11:54pm
The only difference between automotive and marine plug wires is the length, as far as I can tell. Many automotive wires will run over the valve cover, which doesnt make a lot of sense with our marine exhaust manifolds.

When I consulted DUI on what wires to run on my HEI style ignition, they suggested running quality 8mm spiral core wires at a minimum. I bought a universal Taylor Spiro-Pro kit and made my own.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 12:19am
Mine are Accel.
Tim D
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 12:22am
I have the pretty yellow wires that Reid is talking about, but they have been on it for almost 5 years!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Mine are Accel.

Are they marine??
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 12:27am
Not marine, just high performance, low ohms.
Tim D
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 7:52am
If you think at all you wish to add an msd ignition someday, choose not spiral core.

I have been impressed with the quality of the marine MagStar wires. They are beefy, lengths are always right, never had a terminal pull off nor corrode, no radio interferrence. Prices are competitive with most other options.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 8:13am
the difference from what i can tell is the length to get around the manifolds, difference? probably not only in the price. i try to stay with 8 mm or better. it seems for off the shelf wires, Napa seems to have a qaulity wire from thier sierra line
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 9:25am
It makes no differnce I had a set of Moroso Blue Max wires then went with a set from skidim because the atumotive wires where a little short, But I would stay away from the spiral core wires some of the ignition system don't like them and i believe in the instruction of the cil I bought it specificly stated not to use spiral core wires. Like a couple others have allready said the difference is length.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 10:25am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I would stay away from the spiral core wires some of the ignition system don't like them

A better recommendation is to check with the ignition system manufacturer to verify what wires are best. Performance Distributors specifically recommended 8mm spiral core for my DUI.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 1:57pm
This post prompted me to look around for GT40 EFI plug wires. I'd love to have a set of yellow ones to match the yellow labels on the exhaust manifolds and the GT40 logos on the engine. This would be about as much modding as I would do to this engine . Turns out that SKIDIM has a whole separate set of OEM GT40 EFI plug wires. These wires have a special coil wire and are factory red in color. Does anyone have a cross-reference for an automotive equivalent for these wires? I don't know if the female ends for the cap would be a different size from standard wires, and I'm pretty sure the coil wire is quite different than the non-EFI equivilants.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 2:06pm
Joel, the problem with automotive wires is the length- I dont think theyre long enough to go under our marine exhaust manifolds. If youre up to making your own, its not hard. The universal kits come with both style connectors.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 2:08pm
I believe you can get the dist end either way from skidim, your not going to have an auto eqiv. Marine wires would be to long so they would never have been used on a car to cross reference.

Actually went back and read the Mallory stuff I have and maybe it was the conv. kit I had before the new motor and dist. But I guess I need to look at some spiral core wires, need to get the new exhaust on first tho.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joel, the problem with automotive wires is the length- I dont think theyre long enough to go under our marine exhaust manifolds. If youre up to making your own, its not hard. The universal kits come with both style connectors.

Ok, so what is the technical term for the cap-ends of the wires that I need and the special ignition wire? I'd love to get a kit with yellow wires and go at it this summer but I would not know what type of connectors to ask for!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 2:47pm
Joel, Im only aware of 2 types of terminals: male/HEI (GM) and female/socket. Not sure which style the GT40 uses, but my stock Prestolite used the female. My DUI requires the male terminals.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

This post prompted me to look around for GT40 EFI plug wires. I'd love to have a set of yellow ones to match the yellow labels on the exhaust manifolds and the GT40 logos on the engine. .

How about some lime green to match that interior BKH
Livin' the Dream

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joel, Im only aware of 2 types of terminals: male/HEI (GM) and female/socket. Not sure which style the GT40 uses, but my stock Prestolite used the female. My DUI requires the male terminals.

Ok, so that narrows it down. Female, I'd presume, since the GT40 cap has male terminals sticking out of the top unlike the typical non-GT40 cap. Now, any guesses on what the ignition wire is called? It can be seen here:

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

This post prompted me to look around for GT40 EFI plug wires. I'd love to have a set of yellow ones to match the yellow labels on the exhaust manifolds and the GT40 logos on the engine. .

No comprendo.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 3:11pm
You have to look at the angle of the boot that at the plug, 90, 135/45, or straight, then theres important stuff like the color, and the type of cap, either male/hei or femake socket, and this refers to thw type you see on the cap, your case male/hei others female/socket.

so then do I have a post on the cap? y male/HEI

is there a socket in the cap? y female/socket

the coil wire will usually have no terminal on one end and supply you with both to match any coil type.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 3:14pm
Ok, and finally, what type of core for the EFI? Spiral?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 3:21pm
spiral's fine.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 3:28pm

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

No comprendo.

My mistake. I was reading through these quickly and thought it was MM or Maddmarx.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 3:31pm

the coil wire will usually have no terminal on one end and supply you with both to match any coil type.

79, I supplied a pic of the coil wire on the previous page of this post. It looks to be quite different than a std coil wire. The kits will come with this connection?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 3:32pm
Joel, the Taylor universal kit I used gives you 9 very long wires with 90 degree plug terminals on one end and 135 degree terminals on the other. They also supply you with 9 HEI terminals and boots, as well as 9 female style.

Here is a pic of the DUI male/HEI terminals (borrowed from JoeinNY):

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 3:59pm
Thanks Tim, I'm specifically talking about the coil wire, seen specifically here in the lower right:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 4:18pm
it's mainly a retainer so it doesn't pop off, take a picture of your coil and post it.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2007 at 4:29pm

it's mainly a retainer so it doesn't pop off, take a picture of your coil and post it.

I just took a look at the engine. Looks like the decorative engine fascia has to be removed to get a good look at it. From what I can see it's just a fairly long coil wire with male 90 degree connections on both ends. That black plastic thing must just be a retainer clip as you suggested.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic