NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Circulating pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Peter Gullen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Gullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Circulating pump
    Posted: March-29-2007 at 4:10pm
i have an intermittent whine coming from the front of my engine (351) occurrs shortly after settling down to wake board speed. if its there at faster speeds then i cant hear it. im assuming its the circulating pump- is there a bearing or something it could be? anyone have any pictures of a pump apart? if it is the pump/ bearing does it come in a kit or are the parts separate?

thanks, peter
93 Ski Nautique
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 4:12pm
pretty sure skidim should have the bearing by itself, might have a kit. Was looking through their catalog last night. I know there was bearing not sure about a rebuild kit though.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 5:41pm
Peter, if you are talking circulating pump, bolts to the motor front,don't try a rebuild buy a new one #0613 sells for $136.99 and ask for our discount.
If its raw water , mounts to the side of motor, sme deal buy new.
You could also have alternator troubles, same whine just in a different location.
Find the noise before you go throwing money at it.The use of a long screwdriver held to your ear and then toucning suspected part will tell you where the whine is......boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 8:53pm
Doc why couldn't he use a regular water pump off a car, depending on motor rotation of course. $40 with life time warranty verses $136 and some change plus shipping.

Peter usually if it's the circulating pump making noise then there will be some water dripping out of it soon by the shaft. Plus you can check the shaft and bearing on the circulating pmump by grabbing the pulley and see if it will move side to side or up and down. Shouldn't be much movement if any.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 10:22pm
may just be the belt

Munday
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 12:06am
Jim, I assume he has a reverse rotation 351, I may be wrong,if indeed he does, well you know the rest of the story.
If it is standard rotation, yes he could use an auto unit. Though I would not,but then I won't put a reman anything on my stuff...............boat dr
huey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 12:19am
My '96 SN with a GT-40 was doing the same thing last year. Discovered a nice "wobble" on the raw water pump pulley. I figured a bearing must be going. So, I replaced it and the noise was gone.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 8:45am
He should have a std rotation engine and with a friendly auto parts store he could find a circulation pump that is extremely close to the one he needs for probably 40 bucks by opening a lot of boxes and comparing (unless someone here knows the year and model of ford water pump he would have to ask for). All he would lose is the higher quality material used in impellor and bearing cases of the 130 dollar pump, it would probably work for a long time in fresh water but its a pretty new boat I would just drop the money to skidim.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 10:12am
I had the same type of noise and couldnt figure out exactly where it was coming from either. If I remember correctly the circulating water pump pulley turns two belts, one turns the alternator the other turns the raw water pump. By taking one belt off at a time and running it for a short period I could figure out which it was before buying parts. I thought it was going to be the circulating water pump but was not. I think the screwdriver trick would do the same thing I was just too chicken to try it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Gullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 12:52pm
thanks for the reply's, i believe it is the circulating pump as opposed to the raw. i think its a standard rotaion- the raw water pump turns clockwise looking at the wheel from the front of the engine. im going to try the screw driver trick this weekend when i take it up the lake for the season. i thought about removing pullys to eliminate but as i said it is intermittent. no leaking water as yet. ive had the boat 3 years and ive had the whine for approx. 2 years. if i could fit a car pump (if that is the problem) that would solve alot of money and hassle

peter
93 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 4:41pm
Car pumps have cast iron (or steel) impellars that will rust. Marine pumps have stainless steel impellars. Sometimes the castings are different (i.e. the inlet port to work with the marinizer set up for raw water delivery. I think PCM uses a unique casting that is not used on vehicles...but I could be wrong.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 5:07pm
I found a regular auto circulating pump that fits the BFN, its off a 69 chevy 396. Onlt took opening three boxes, the guy at the parts store was pretty close, as it was one of the four that he brought to the counter. Helps that he was a chevy nut. Plus it has the life time warranty, so if I have to change it once every five years or more no big deal. Only take a few minutes to change.
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 12:43pm
AS FAR AS USING AN AUTOMOTIVE PUMP IT WILL WORK AS LONG AS THE HUB IS THE SAME BOLT PATTERN BUT SOMETHINGS TO THINK ABOUT ARE A STAINLESS IMPLELLER AND ALSO A LITTLE BETTER SEAL IN THE MARINE PUMP BECAUSE OF THE RPMS THAT A BOAT RUNS VRS. A AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATION. THE MARINE UNIT MAY USE A BETTER SEAL BECAUSE OF INCREASED RPMS. IF YOU GO TO A AUTO PARTS STORE WRITE DOWN THE CASTING NUMBER ON YOUR ORIGINAL PUMP, IT MAY ENABLE YOU TO FIND THE REPLACEMENT PUMP QUICKER. GOOD LUCK
gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Gullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 1:46pm
thanks, took the boat out today- first outing this year- boat ran perfect- whine has gone! confusing- it has been like this for around 2 years- it comes and goes. oh well next time i hear it i'll be ready with a screwdriver and try and track it down!
93 Ski Nautique
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Car pumps have cast iron (or steel) impellars that will rust. Marine pumps have stainless steel impellars.

I just looked at my circulation pump from my 89 and the impellor is definately not stainless. It looks to be a cast item, and I am 99% sure it is the factory unit.

Interesting. I would have thought it would be a stainless item.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2007 at 12:59pm
Maybe I should have said stainless, brass or bronze. Marine pumps are different from the automotive counterpart.
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2019 at 7:17pm
Can anyone tell me what part no a Circulating pump for a 1984 SN 2001 w a 351W would be? I don't know if the rotation is std or counter. Never paid attention. But I think it is clockwise from memory.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

Can anyone tell me what part no a Circulating pump for a 1984 SN 2001 w a 351W would be? I don't know if the rotation is std or counter. Never paid attention. But I think it is clockwise from memory.

Look at your thread about mirrors where you also asked about your circulating pump.

There might be some info there
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic