Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 351w starts but won’t run

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
must58gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must58gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 351w starts but won’t run
    Posted: March-30-2007 at 10:05pm
Pulled my 1998 Ski Nautique out of dry storage last week. In my driveway tonight (no water supply attached), I tried to dry start the engine. The engine (PCM 351w EFI) starts but immediately dies. This is the first time I've tried to start the engine in several months but I don't remember having a starting problem last fall. Anybody have any ideas about why it won't keep running.

PS - I know not to run the engine more than a few seconds without water. I was just checking to see if there might be any problem with the engine before we drive out to the lake this weekend with two car loads of teenagers.
-- Must58GT
-- Austin, Texas
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 10:18pm
I can't tell you what is wrong with the engine, but
some type of fake a lake device will allow you to trouble shoot before hauling everyone to the lake. Can't really tell if there is a problem by running it for 30 seconds, especially with a breaker problem like I've got. Really sucks to load everyone up, make the trip, crank it up and have it die 2 minutes later and then have to come right home. I've been trouble shooting my electrical system with the engine running for a week now (not continuously, of course) without making a trip to the lake.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2007 at 11:59pm
sounds like a fuel problem, maybe it lost pressure from the tank, you can put an air hose on it to try to blow fuel up to the pump!
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2007 at 8:45am
Do you still have points in your distributor? If so, disconnect the wire that goes from the starter solenoid to the positive side of the ignition coil. With that disconnected, see if you have spark when you crank the engine. If not, your ballast resistor is probably bad.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2007 at 7:57pm
If it dies when you let off the starter I'd look into the ign switch.Supply power to the ignition with a jumper wire.and retry may also be the resistor if still points.

Munday
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Munday Munday wrote:

If it dies when you let off the starter I'd look into the ign switch.Supply power to the ignition with a jumper wire.and retry may also be the resistor if still points.

Munday

I agree, Id try the ignition switch first. I believe CC has been using EI since the early 90's. No way a '98 has points.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic