NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

62 wood

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 62 wood
    Posted: April-11-2007 at 11:57am
Steve, How far along are you on the Higgins? Will it be ready for this summer? You need to join the ACBS. The Iowa chapter is probably closer to you than the Blackhawk (northern Ill.) Of coarse you don't need to join a chapter to be a national member.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 12:17pm
Pete,
Its still upside down on sawhorses...been stripped, stained, and 9 coats of varnish... Just got done with a wetsand...want to put 3 more coats of varnish on before getting her "sunny-side-up".

(also decided to pull all my under-boat hardware, so I can 5200 it.)

Im rebuilding a 283 ...everything is back from machine shop...just needs re-assembling.

Not sure if she'll get wet this summer? Im hoping to go to Clear Lake with her in July ...they are featuring Higgins...

I have been thinking about joining the ACBS..just need to "do it".
I think we're only a few hours apart... hafta get a "mini reunion" weekend going sometime?

BTW, did you see my post on Muscatine Boat Show in May? You should try to make it.. Alan (81) is hoping to make it , and hopefully a few others..(hint, hint Chuck and Paul)...

Heres a pic before I stripped the old stain..

And a pic of it while staining...

Now if i could only get some extra time..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 1:31pm
It's looking good!! So, you get to brush and your wife gets the dirty job of wiping down the filler/stain. At least you gave her rubber gloves.
I'm trying to place the year that Higgins went to bright finished hull instead of paint.
Did you use the Mas penetrating epoxy or the CPES?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It's looking good!! So, you get to brush and your wife gets the dirty job of wiping down the filler/stain. At least you gave her rubber gloves.
I'm trying to place the year that Higgins went to bright finished hull instead of paint.
Did you use the Mas penetrating epoxy or the CPES?

Im just a "nice guy" ..thats why we've been together for almost 32 years..

as for the stained Higgins ..they are very rare.. almost all Ive ever seen are painted...And the stained ones Ive seen are "later" (early 60s) ones. Kinda wierd...thats when lot of the woodys were being painted to make them look more "modern"

the epoxies... Ive usually used the CPES.
Heres a pic of the only time she's been in the water, since Ive owned it..

not sure if Im going to put the "paint stripe" back on it?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 4:22pm
Come on Steve!! I thought that like myself you were one of the purest group. No white accent paint on the sides???

Was the 283 the original engine? Whos is it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 4:49pm
Pete,
sorry...I try to do the right thing... but I keep going AC-DC...

It had an old 'gray" 250 v8. Ran like a top, but was getting water in the oil. Pulled the heads..needed all new valves (about a $500 fix) no problem , but it had a 70c velvet that was slipping and an exhaust manifold with a hole blown in it. Soooo....

I had a 68 307 "Pacer" marine setup ...with a 71c velvet. block was junk, so Im using (and heres that phrase) an era-correct 283.
I figure I can always go back to original ,if I decide to? I wasnt sure when I got the boat if it was even going to be a "keeper"?

FYI, I also mess with cars.... ones an all original 70 Chevelle SS 454 ragtop... only original will do on it.

The others a 37 Chevy coupe/street rod. SB Chevy..(going to be Aluminum heads) ..Mustang front, Moser 9" rear, 700 odrive, etc,etc...not even close to original.
See what I mean? i just cant help myself sometimes?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 5:02am
Steve, I must say that you do keep yourself busy! Looks like you have a great shop for all your projects. What are you using for varnish?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 8:17am
Pete,
Im using the 2015 Flagship varnish. What did you use for penetrating epoxy and varnish on your 54?

as for the shop...Im a VERY lucky guy with a VERY understanding wife! (Ask jbear ;-) We bought a 2 1/2 acre "farmette" almost 20 years ago. It has two barns , a corn crib that I installed an "overhead crane" in(thats the pic of the Higgins with the bottom stripped.), and a couple of other smaller buildings. I was going to remodel an old machine shed for my "new" shop, but found out the foundation only went down a foot.

Sooo, thats when I started on the "5 year" plan to build my current 36 x 48 foot toy box, as my wife calls it. I was "just" going to do a quick job, but Pam, my wife, said this will probably be the last time I could ever do this. Its turning out pretty nice... In fact ,I still pinch myself to make sure Im not dreaming!

btw, my signature, below, was taken from an actual conversation with my wife , one of the times she wasnt quite as understanding as I thought she should be!
Whats the story on your other boats?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 9:13am
Steve, The Flagship is the way to go. I've found it to be easy to use and is the most durable but most important is it has the highest UV protection of any varnish.

I would and do not use any epoxy under my bright finishes. A sealer or reduced varnish is it for the first couple of coats. The epoxies will all eventually turn whitish when exposed to UV. I don't care what anyone says about protecting it with a couple coats of varnish it turns white. I've seen it happen on a hand made cedar strip canoe and it did have varnish on it plus it wasn't out in the sun on a daily basis!!

Your 5 year plan sounds fantastic. I too have plans to build my shop up north a couple years befor I retire. Now I'm just stuck in the garage!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 9:30am
Pete and Steve,
Our wives will have plenty to talk about at Green Lake, but I think it best they not be left alone for too long a period. But on second thought, they do say misery loves company, so it might be like therapy for them to know that there are others out there living thru and surviving the same things.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 9:50am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Pete and Steve,
Our wives will have plenty to talk about at Green Lake, but I think it best they not be left alone for too long a period. But on second thought, they do say misery loves company, so it might be like therapy for them to know that there are others out there living thru and surviving the same things.

Reid, Thats always been my problem.. I cant just play with one thing!
Thats where my AC-DC complex comes in... to date there is no known cure for it... Thank God!!!   
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 11:48am
I've always been very lucky with my wife never complaining about my "projects" She infact encourages them. Probably knows what kind of mood I'd be in without them! They are great for taking the mind away fromm all the day to day stuff.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 9:41pm
Wood and Reid: You two guys have the most understanding wives I have seen this side of mrs jbear. All of us are way luckier than we deserve to be!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 9:52pm
jbear,
You got that right!   I'd hate to think about having to "train" another! Not much I do surprises her anymore..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 9:59pm
Same with Patti; no surprises anymore. Can you imagine starting all over again? Thats for young guys.

How is the new little guy doing? Any pics of him and grandpa in the shop yet? Ya gotta start him out early!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 10:10pm
John,
Kaleb is almost 6 months old already! I can tell you..grandkids are WAY more fun than your own! He's already been asking me to go out in "grandpas boat"..
(altho nobody else has understood him yet?)

Between my son and I ,two things are for sure.. 1..He will definately be a "river-rat" ..and ..2 he will have grease under his fingernails!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 10:49pm
Grandkids are the payback for having kids of your own.....or so I've heard. Our granddaughter lived to far away for us to enjoy very much when she was young. Can't believe your guy is 6 months old already. And I am not surprised that only you can understand some of the stuff he says!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic