Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shaft alignment?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
acedizzle916 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acedizzle916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shaft alignment?
    Posted: April-14-2007 at 7:00pm
I am putting a brand new strut and shaft into my 1983 ski nautique. i got the strut on and i got the shaft through the strut and up into the transmission...sort of. the shaft doesnt seem to want to go into the transmission as far as it should. i talked to someone at west coast correct craft taht said i may have to adjust my motor mounts to align the shaft with the transmission, but my old shaft came out of the transmission from where the motor is now and as far as i know its not bent at all. how can i tell if i need to adjust the motor mounts?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 7:33pm
If you're trying to force the shaft into the trans it sounds like you didn't remove the coupler from the tranny. If thats the case, separate the coupler, install the shaft into the coupler, then go through the alignment process,. This is about the best thread on the site for shaft alignment

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acedizzle916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 8:06pm
oh i didnt know i was supposed to separate teh coupler... thx :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acedizzle916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 8:37pm
ok i separated the coupler from the tranny, but the shaft won't even slide into the coupler.. so i've come to the conclusion that they either sold me the wrong shaft (which i doubt) or that the coupler itself is damaged on the inside. the shaft should fit easily into the coupler, right?   i dunno... this is my first time doing this.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 8:39pm
ace, Since you replaced the strut it may not be in the EXACT spot or angle as the original. You MUST align the engine to the new shaft. I can't stress this requirment enough. Follow the thread on shaft alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acedizzle916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 8:59pm
with the coupler separated from the tranny the shaft should slide easliy into the coupler though right?
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 9:46pm
Yes, if it is lined up. Are there any burrs or set screws prohibiting the shaft going into the coupler?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 9:51pm
ace, The shaft to coupling bore clearance on a 1" shaft is fairly tight (.001") so it may not go on easy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acedizzle916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2007 at 12:26am
there are some grooves and scratches and such inside the coupler, but i think if i can shove teh shaft into it if i really try. it's not going to damage anything since the coupler rotates with the shaft right?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic