NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lake Scum Remover?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Scum Remover?
    Posted: April-19-2007 at 3:06pm
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good way/product to rid my boat of "lake scum" that has built up over many years. To me it seems like the only way to remove it is to sand it off but this way is extremely tiresome and time consuming not to mention bad for the gelcoat.   Any suggestions?
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 3:22pm
I've heard people like the on/ off or on and off...whatever it's called.
You spray it on, then hose it off.

Personally, I use a good cleaner wax and lots of elbow grease. Wax has an abrasive element to it, so a good quality cleaner wax should take off the lake scum.

Good luck.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 3:40pm
On/Off works great- its very strong stuff. Just dont let it sit long on any painted surface (trailer, etc) or decals. Ive also heard muriatic acid works well.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 4:55pm
Muriatic acid works great. I didn't discover it until this year, and I was a bit nervous spraying it on the hull of my pride and joy but sure enough it is harmless to the hull and stickers and just eats out the bad stuff. I cut it 50/50 with water into a commercial spray bottle. Do not breathe in the vapor or do it on a windy day, and do hose down the boat and trailer right after.

Interestingly it does turn the nibral parts green when it hits them, which is probably why I see a lot of boat ads where the running gear looks like it has green corrosion on it- they clearly used the muriatic acid on the boat! Don't worry though- the green corrosion is not permanent on the running gear.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Interestingly it does turn the nibral parts green when it hits them, which is probably why I see a lot of boat ads where the running gear looks like it has green corrosion on it- they clearly used the muriatic acid on the boat! Don't worry though- the green corrosion is not permanent on the running gear.

Same thing with the On/Off. Muriatic acid could very well be the active ingredient.
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 5:15pm
OK Thanks I'll try it. I have had some experience with muriatic acid before (fun stuff).   But if it works then it will save me a lot of time.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 8:06pm
use a product called Slimey Grimey, if i didnt see it myself i wouldnt of believed it, spray it on and the algae build up drips right off..... it probably has muratic acid in it
"the things you own will start to own you"
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 9:33am
I would not use acid.

I just repainted my trailer for my '86. I used to clean it with acid for about 4 summers before I had a lift. The steel is all pitted from the acid. If I had not done the trailer when I did I would not have a trailer anymore!

I used to use toilet bowl cleaner, you get it at the custodial supply store.

Tim
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 10:22am
They all contain a acid of some type at different strengths. Rinsing with lots of water is important.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 10:56am
I agree with behindpropeller. That acid is bad stuff. My trailer is really rusted out from the PO using acid based cleaners. I used the acid when I first got the boat. Bad stuff, had my lungs burning, skin burning. I don't ever want to use the stuff again! I had good results with Purple Power cleaner I got at Advanced Auto and a good stiff brush.

soak it in the lake first.

after you get it clean apply a coat of wax to keep it easy to clean

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 6:41pm
soak the boat or the brush in the lake first??? Just kidding I know you ment to soak the brush in the lake first. I am having way to much fun at work today.
BlondieGurl1443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondieGurl1443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 6:48pm
I havent found anything that works as well as this without the harshness!
starbright
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 8:56pm
muratic acid is the sh*t..if nervous about it use my trusty trick..take your 2 gallon weed sprayer and dump a large bottle of hydrogen peroxide and one bottle of lysol toliet bowl cleaner(blue) into it...then fill the rest with water...spray it on and watch for 1-3 minutes and wipe off..try it
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 7:12am
I've had great results with a toilet bowl cleaner called "The Works". I pull the boat out of the water, spray it on, let it set for a minute or two, and hose it off. Sometimes I use a car brush if the scum is stubborn.
Good luck.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 2:58pm
I guess tufffooter and RA don't care about their trailers.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:19pm
Behindprop,
Have you ever used The Works? I've used it on my pontoon for 9 years (painted trailer) and my outboard for 8 years (also a painted steel trailer). Both trailers show no ill affects from the product, though the pontoon trailer I share with some buddies who trash it.. My outboard trailer still looks brand new. Now muratic acid, I have not used it on a boat while on the trailer.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:31pm
Yes.

Actually my trailer looked good before I tore it down. Underneath the bunks is where is was corroded. Lots of 1/8"+ pitting.

Tim
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 11:27am
My trailer is trashed, and I know it was from the PO using muriatic acid to clean the boat. If i ever get a new trailer Muriatic acid will never come near it. I am with behindpropeller on this one.

If you do use the acid, at least wash off the trailer REAL GOOD. In my case their is carpet and wood that hold the acid water to the trailer.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic