Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Flicke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine question
    Posted: April-20-2007 at 4:49pm
Hello everyone,

I have just made my first boat purchase!
After years of standup jet skiing my 39yr old knee's just can't do it anymore, So instead of chasing a boat wake i'll be making them...
It is a 1989 Ski Nautique 2001... First let me say I was reluctant to buy a boat that has sat for many years! And I didn't know alot about them! So after a google search, I ended up here! along with the other nautique sites! I was really excited to see the following that these older crafts have! And after reading everything i could I felt prepared enough to check it out and see if he would sell it!

Long story short... He is not a mechanical person and 5 or so years ago he parked it after it started giving him fits... he started throwing parts at it to get it to run better with no luck and finally gave up!

It's faded bad! needs new carpet etc etc.. but the stringers and floor are solid. It's Just neglected and has a good newer trailer. So we struck a deal to get it out of his yard and into mine, I put $1500.00 in his hand and towed it away...
The first thing I cked when I got it home was the distributor! Pulled the cap and saw that it was still a points setup, Pulled it out.. and the shaft had a ton of slop in it! Probably his problem the whole time!
I'm not even going to try to get the 351 running, I'm just going to pull it and go thru it! and freshen up the hull while I rebuild the motor at my work.
But I have a question ?
1. Are the heads and block and crank the same as a truck or car 351? I know the cam and accessories are not.

I would have probably passed on this boat if I had not found this site and the others! It is really cool that people are customizing these boats and sharing their experiance's I look forward to this project as much as one of my car projects.. keep up the great work! And thanks much...

Flicke
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 4:57pm
Sounds cool and a heck of a deal Flicke! You're gonna have a geat boat there and even more fun! The folks here will be a big help as they are to all of us.
Welcome!
Walt
9360SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9360SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 5:49pm
Yes,this is one of the great site for Natique owner.
if I don't find these site, I possible gave up my Natique already. Unfortunately, Natique becomes not propular in our area.I can't see new boat comes every season.
Go on wakeboard
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 6:13pm
Yes, its basically the truck/marine shortblock with the better rods, vs the car 351.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Flicke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 7:43pm
Thx for the reply's!!!
I thought the blocks would be the same.. I have a .030 truck 351 short blk ready to go that was going in a mustang, but now will go in the boat!

Are the heads the same as a truck? Or are they different cause its a boat??
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 11:21pm
Heads were the same, your boat being an 89 should be the same rotation as a standard automotive engine, but be sure. The transmission in the boat should be a pcm transmission and not a borg warner velvet drive, if you see a velvet drive then the engine is reverse rotation. The shortblock will probably work as is, the piston to wall clearance and piston ring end gap need to be a little larger for marine apps but as long as it wasnt built on the low end of the truck tolerance ranger you will probably be alright. Congrats on the purchase.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2007 at 11:56pm
My '93 is a reverse rotation and has a PCM 1:1 . I know Eric and some of the other found this to be unusual. I know that this was original.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2007 at 9:36am
the slop in the dist just may well be the mechanical advance your feeling and not a worn out dist.
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 3:33am
A rh rotation marine engine probably has cam journals different, and the marine crank will be softer.
rudderdad
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 1:41pm
If you are rebuilding your engine be aware: I read somewhere on the forum that piston to cylinder clearances are different than they would be on a car engine. I also read somewhere that thr RR engine requires pistons be installed 180 Deg different than a car engine... check this out - could be bad info, I dunno.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic