Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transmission leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cml85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cml85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission leak
    Posted: April-23-2007 at 5:42pm
I have an 85 with a 1:1 vevet drive that runs fine for the 10 minutes before all the transmission oil leaks out. I have looked around and under the transmision while the engine is running and cant tell where its leaking, just the bilge full of oil. any suggestions?
quick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 8:19pm
Hello!
perhaps the rear oil pump joint behind the flywhell cover is hs?
Good luck
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 9:41pm
you may have a front seal going if it is leaking that quick, if i cant spot a leak i will die test them and use a black light, chances are if you cannot isolate the leak you will have to remove the trans, if you do and you find the seal pushed out of the front pump it is a good indication that the pump is failed. What happens in this case is the pump gets excessive clearance inside of the pumps housing and creates pressure and pushes the seal out, normally when they leak that quick it is usually the pump. the trans is 22 years old and may be due for a going through
"the things you own will start to own you"
cml85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cml85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 8:26am
thanks for the reply, I thought that the transmission might have to come out. is lifting the engine and the trans together the best way to get at it? If so, I think that the engine(351) has lifting hooks on it but i want to be sure before i lift it. they are rings on the cylinder heads one back left and one front right. is that what those are?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 9:13am
cm, It was just mentioned in another thread about "the old bottle jack trick". Leave the front mounts in place but loosen the side to side adjustment so the engine can swivel. Put a bottle jack under each manifold at the rear. Disconnect the rear engine mount and start jacking until you have enough clearance to pull the trans. Oh, disconnect the exhaust hoses.

One more thing, you then ship it to Eric.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 9:14am
you can loosen the front mounts and remove the rear mounts and swing the back end up high enough to clear the prop shaft, removing the engine is not necessary
cml85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cml85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 2:43pm
the exhaust manifold is strong enough to hold the engine? do I need to loosen or move the coupling on the shaft or will the trans clear with the coupling where it is? want to make sure I know what I am doing before I start.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 2:48pm
Yup, the exhaust manifolds can support the motor. It shouldnt be too hard to slide the shaft a few inches to give you some room to get the tranny out.
cml85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cml85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 5:11pm
took the transmission apart and found inside the pump some stuff that was dark gray and the consistancy of jello that filled the entire pump area. I dont think that is good, but could that be the reason for the leak?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 7:54pm
Is it leaking at the seal? these transmissions do eventually wear out and that is the point where yours may be at, it is a 1985 making it 22 years old.... not bad if its never been out of the boat. the grayish stuff you are seeing is years of contamination build up including fiber clutch material,
I real would tear it completely down and go through it, either the manual can get you through it or you could call me for any questions you would have. if you need parts call me and Ill get you the correct plates to use... especially the reverses, the ones i use wont snap in half. tear it down further and inspect and post your questions
   Eric
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 8:15pm
Pics go along way here. Plus we like to see what your doing. Helps spread the fun a little. Hope you have her back running soon, Eric is our resident trans expert.
cml85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cml85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 1:55pm
thanks everyone, I took apart the trans and everything else seems fine. I dont know what to look for, but all parts have been inspected and have no missing pieces or chicks and cracks, so I think everything good. what should I look for? I did find that the front seal had a damaged spot, so that might be where it was leaking from. I am going to order a seal kit from DIM and put it back together unless someone knows of something that I should check or replace. when repacing gaskets and seals do you need to also use a liquid sealer. if so what kind is best? thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic